43 dead, many injured in Delhi factory fire
Death toll may increase further
Published: 11:12 AM, 8 December 2019 Updated: 01:43 PM, 8 December 2019
In one of the worst fire tragedies in India’s Delhi, at least 43 people were killed and several others were injured when a blaze swept through a cardboard factory in a five-storey building in the capital’s Rani Jhansi Road early Sunday morning. Rescue operations are underway, news Hindustan Times.
The country’s police Deputy commissioner (North), Monika Bhardwaj confirmed that at least 32 of those rescued and rushed to hospitals were pronounced dead.
Delhi Fire service director Atul Garg said the fire started around 5 am in a five-storey building where around 60-70 people were sleeping, most of them contractual laborers and factory workers.
“The fire was big and we pressed in more than 50 fire tenders. Till 9.30 am we had shifted at least 56 people to the hospital. All of them had fallen unconscious because of smoke. Our men got into the building and we pulled out occupants. They are in large number and were sleeping on different floors. Rescue operations are continuing and we are yet to figure out how many people were inside the building” said Garg.
The fire services director also said that they are yet to ascertain the reason behind the fire. “Whether the building had firefighting equipment is a matter of probe,” he said.
Union home minister Amit Shah said he has instructed authorities concerned to provide all possible assistance on the urgent basis.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah on #Delhi fire incident: Have instructed concerned authorities to provide all possible assistance on an urgent basis.
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal described the news as “very, very tragic”.
Dellhi’s food and civil supplies minister Imran Hussain said an investigation will be conducted and action will be taken against whoever is responsible for the fire, according to ANI.
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- Youth crushed under train at Pubail
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cricket Australia CEO to be in BPL final
- Turkey begins to deploy troops in Libya
- Iran strikes were ‘slap on face’ for US: Khamenei in Zummah
- 1 killed in Mirsharai road crash
- Fan waits 5 nights for Pooja Hegde!
- Garlic and Aloe Vera can cure dandruff forever
- Spicy chicken cauliflower roast
- Another one dies from mystery virus in China
- Tamim likely to miss Pakistan tour
- Popy wants to marry as Shakib searching for bride
- Police constable dies falling from roof of police control room
- Two killed after being hit by bus in Uttara
- All News »
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Austrilia begins camel culling, 1500 shot on 1st day
- Historic Bangabandhu’s Homecoming Day today
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- 60 civilians killed in US attack in Afghanistan
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- British lawmakers finally approve historic Brexit deal
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 1st phase of Biswa Ijtema begins with ‘Aam Bayan’
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Homecoming Day
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- Gunman kills 3 in Thailand mall robbery
- PM opens Bangabandhu’s birth centenary countdown
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- 63 ‘terrorists’, 25 others killed in Niger army base attack
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- PM to open the countdown of Mujib Year
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Symbolic return of Bangabandhu after 48 years
- Nationwide Vitamin A campaign tomorrow
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final