40 soldiers killed in Afghan army base clashes
Published: 11:38 AM, 2 March 2019
At least 40 military personnel were killed and several others wounded during ongoing clashes between Taliban militants and Afghan forces inside an army base in the southern province of Helmand, a local source said on Friday.
The clashes erupted after over 20 Taliban militants attacked the Corps 215 Maywand in Shorab area of Helmand in the wee hours of Friday.
"About 10 assailants were also killed during blasts and exchange of gunfire. The Afghan National Army's Special Operations Forces are trying to kill or capture the remaining armed militants," the source told Xinhua anonymously.
Sporadic clashes were ongoing as of late Friday when troops were making slow advance during the clearance operation, he said.
"Unarmed military and service personnel are trapped in buildings seized by the militants. Troops are doing their best to rescue the people caught in the compounds," he said.
At least three suicide bomb blasts struck main buildings of the base. A senior military officer was among the killed, according to the source.
The assailants penetrated the Afghan military base after heavy snow hit most parts of the country.
The Taliban militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Local media Tolo News TV reported that the militants stormed the premise from three sides of the heavily guarded camp.
But the US Forces Afghanistan tweeted after Taliban claimed killing several Afghan and foreign forces, "More lies. The attack was repelled by the brave Afghan Security Forces."
Helmand, notorious for poppy growing, is also a known Taliban stronghold. - Xinhua
- Coronavirus hits more Middle East countries
- Trump announces defence deal with India
- Papiya placed on 15-day remand
- Police becomes barrier to treatment of Rickshaw puller’s mother
- Holy Shab-e-Meraj on Mar 22
- Trump visits Taj Mahal
- Young girl crushed under train in Lalmonirhat
- Yunusur Rahman made DSE chairman
- Mahathir becomes interim PM
- Trump forgets Gandhi at Gandhi’s Ashram
- PM urges Japan to investment in power sector
- No one will escape committing crime: Quader
- 12 Jailed for carrying marijuana in Jamalpur
- India seal comfortable victory over Bangladesh
- Rapist detained after 18 yrs of rape
- RU also denies joining uniform admission test
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- DU says not to uniform entry test
- Case against 9 brick kilns of Gaibandha
- Bangladesh restrict India to 142
- Coronavirus: 7 died, 763 infected in South Korea
- Mushfiqur tops Tamim to become leading run-scorer
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire