40 soldiers killed in Afghan army base clashes
Published: 11:38 AM, 2 March 2019
At least 40 military personnel were killed and several others wounded during ongoing clashes between Taliban militants and Afghan forces inside an army base in the southern province of Helmand, a local source said on Friday.
The clashes erupted after over 20 Taliban militants attacked the Corps 215 Maywand in Shorab area of Helmand in the wee hours of Friday.
"About 10 assailants were also killed during blasts and exchange of gunfire. The Afghan National Army's Special Operations Forces are trying to kill or capture the remaining armed militants," the source told Xinhua anonymously.
Sporadic clashes were ongoing as of late Friday when troops were making slow advance during the clearance operation, he said.
"Unarmed military and service personnel are trapped in buildings seized by the militants. Troops are doing their best to rescue the people caught in the compounds," he said.
At least three suicide bomb blasts struck main buildings of the base. A senior military officer was among the killed, according to the source.
The assailants penetrated the Afghan military base after heavy snow hit most parts of the country.
The Taliban militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Local media Tolo News TV reported that the militants stormed the premise from three sides of the heavily guarded camp.
But the US Forces Afghanistan tweeted after Taliban claimed killing several Afghan and foreign forces, "More lies. The attack was repelled by the brave Afghan Security Forces."
Helmand, notorious for poppy growing, is also a known Taliban stronghold. - Xinhua
- German arms export freeze on Saudi Arabia extended
- 6 arrested in Bagha border with Indian citizens
- Argentina court approves hijab!
- Finally suspension order of Zinia withdrawn
- 60 marks exam must to be BCL leaders
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- Tree plantation program held at IU
- Rabab Fatima appointed Bangladesh’s envoy to UN
- Dope test for bus drivers from Dec 1
- Ashura reminds Islam is integral part of the Abrahamic tradition
- CIP cards handover to 182 businessmen
- Bangladesh in Tri-Nation T20 final
- Bangladesh Bank upsurges ADR
- BSEC approves Standard Bank’s bond
- Fire in Liberia’s school kills over 27 children
- ‘Independent supreme court’ of Facebook
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Iran threatens to invade US with all
- Kashmiris night out on trees in raid panic
- Tea: wonderful natural beauty elements
- Vulgar message from Popy`s ID!
- Pakistan refuses Modi’s German flight over land
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- Tigers post 175/7 against Zimbabwe
- Solution to disputes with GP, Robi in 3 weeks: FnM
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Marriage in police station after rape: OC Obaidul dismissed
- Ira Khan casts brother Junaid to debut play Medea
- Mehazabien reacted on social media
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- ‘Mayaboti’ to release 22 theaters tomorrow
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Padma Bridge’s toll yet to be decided: Quader
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Jennifer Lopez steals money and shows in ‘Hustlers’
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- ACC director Yusuf’s wife burnt in fire dies