4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
Published: 12:35 PM, 6 April 2020 Updated: 02:47 PM, 6 April 2020
Four more people have died from coronavirus in the last 24 hours, taking the total death toll to 13 in the country.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Zahid Maleque came up with the information after an emergency meeting with government and private health agencies and representatives at the conference room of Bangladesh College of Physicians & Surgeons(BCPS) building in Mohakhali on Monday.
Besides, 29 more people have been diagnosed with coronavirus, said the minister, adding that with this, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases has increased to 117 in the country.
The coronavirus, that first reported in China late last year, is now affecting 208 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. As of Monday afternoon, a total of 1,276,732 people have been diagnosed with the virus worldwide, as the death toll rises to 69,529 while 265,956 patients have recovered.
More than a third of the world's population is now under lockdown as an increasing number of countries implement sweeping measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
To stop spreading the deadly coronavirus, the Bangladesh government on March 23 declared a nationwide 10-day holiday shutting down the government and private offices excepting essential and healthcare facilities while it was due to expire on April 4. On April 1, the fresh holidays were declared from April 5 to 9 and the two days of (Friday & Saturday) would be added to these holidays.
Later on Sunday, the government issued an order extending the nationwide holiday further until April 14 in the wake of the deadly novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
“As part of the precautionary measures, April 12 and 13 is being declared (fresh) general holidays ... public holiday of Bangla New Year Pohela Boishakh will be added to these holidays,” a Public Administration Ministry statement said.
All have been requested to stay-at-home during the holidays unless they have a good reason to leave their homes.
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Eight trains to resume from May 31
- Iran reopens borders with Turkey and Iraq
- 7 Afghan security personnel killed in Taliban attack
- Trump planing to sell arms to Saudi again
- COVID-19 recovered journo wants to donate plasma
- 17 more infected in Thakurgaon
- More than 359,000 lose lives by COVID-19 globally
- Gazipur records 61 cases in a day
- Mysterious ‘Jewish Club’ in Dhaka
- Another 5,000 doctors, technicians being recruited
- Owners, workers preparing to restart public transport
- Homemade medicine showing hope in COVID-19 treatment
- 36 more infected with coronavirus in Shariatpur
- Bus owners to meet BRTA and Police tomorrow
- 3 more dead after drinking alcohol in Dinajpur
- Another 243 cops recover from COVID-19
- La Liga to hold matches every day
- Shop owners decide to open markets, shops from May 31
- Rashed Chisti’s bail stayed
- Nor`wester injures 4, destroy hundreds of houses in Hatia
- 1600 metric tonnes onions imported from India
- Another cop dies by COVID-19
- General banking system resumes from May 31
- 10-day state mourning in Spain to tribute COVID-19 deaths
- Narsingdi COVID-19 cases rise by 46 to 455
- 2 UP chairmen, 3 members suspended
- Maldives returnee youth tests positive for COVID-19
- Sujoy Shyam returns home from hospital
- Shakib in best XI of Caribbean legend
- All News »
- ‘Movement Pass’ will be required for movement
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- Legal notice sent to Anushka Sharma
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- IS new chief al-Qardash arrested
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Shokh herself reveals mystery of 2nd marriage?
- ‘Twilight’ actor found dead with girlfriend
- Offices resume from May 31
- Sundarbans play motherly role to abate Amphan severity
- Two-day-old baby dies from coronavirus
- 20 die in 24 hrs, 1873 new infected
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 400 in country
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Japanese wrestler Hana Kimura dies
- Saudi among 3 countries announces Eid-ul-Fitr on Sunday
- WHO concerned over highest COVID-19 infection in a day