4 killed in cops-mob clash following facebook post
Injured over hundred
Published: 05:24 PM, 20 October 2019
Four people were killed and over hundred injured in a clash between police and local people while demonstrating at Eidgah ground in Borhanuddin upazila on Sunday, demanding the punishment of a youth for reportedly making derogatory remarks and sharing that with his Facebook friends.
Additional police and BGB have been deployed to control the situation. In addition, senior officials of the department including DIG, DISA were also present at the scene.
Four people- Mizan, Mahfuz Patwari, Shaheen and Mahbub Patwari-were killed, said Dr Abul Kalam Azad, medical officer of Bhola Sadar Hospital.
Fifteen people injured in the calsh were admitted to Barishal Sher- e- Bangla Medical College Hospital, said Dr Abul Hasnat Russel of the hospital’s emergency department.
Talking to local journalists, Sarkar Mohammad Kaisar, Superintendent of Bhola Police, said local people turned furious over the offensive remarks about Prophet Muhammad from the Facebook ID of Biplab Chandra Shuvo, a local man.
“The clash took place centering the hacking of a Facebook ID on October 18. We detained all those involved in ID hacking.They’re now in custody. We sat in a meeting with local influential people, public representatives, imams and Alem who had assured us that they wouldn’t hold their scheduled protest programme today,” he said.
But, today they started taking preparations to hold the programme and then police appeared at the scene, the SP said.
“When we’re leaving the place after the rally, some people started throwing brick chips at us forcing us to take shelter in an adjoining building and fire blank shots,” the SP said.
Three people were killed and a policeman suffered bullet wounds during the clash, he said.
Md Enamul Haque, officer-in-charge of Borhanuddin Police Station, said Biplob on Saturday came to the police station to file a general diary claiming that his Facebook account was hacked.
“Biplob also said someone demanded extortion from him over mobile phone,” he said.
Meanwhile, one platoon of BGB troops was sent to the spot in helicopters while another three platoons were sent by road to quell the situation,” said MdShariful Islam, public relations officer at the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) headquarters.
Besides, one platoon of Bangladesh Coast Guard have been deployed on the spot, said Lt Hayat-Ibne-Siddique, media officer of Coast Guard headquarters.
- Kurigram Freedom Day tomorrow
- Storm over new black hole issue
- China to invest $9.11m in Adamjee EPZ
- Portugal resists US appeal to bar Huawei from 5G network bid
- Anyone can donate kidney on humanitarian ground: HC
- Gazipur spinning mill fire doused
- ICAB arranges programme on business leadership
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- House will draft Trump impeachment articles, Pelosi says
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- DMP detained 49 in anti-narcotics drive
- ‘Government will take legal action against chaos in court’
- 9 killed in India’s Madhya Pradesh
- College girl dies in Gazipur train accident
- ACC recovers 125 sacks of rice in Cumilla
- E-Passport to be introduced on Dec 15: Momen
- 50 Yrs of naming ‘Bangladesh`
- Vice chairman’s three-storey house demolished
- 2 arrested with firearms in Rupganj
- 1 in 8 afford out for nutritious diet: Report
- 4 killed in Poland gas blast, 4 missing
- Bangladesh beats Sri Lanka
- NBR’s extensive prog to observe VAT DAY, VAT Week
- Do not waste the environment in courtroom; says CJ
- Youth killed at in-law’s house after love-marriage
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- AG minister wants to export agricultural products
- Fire in Tongi factory: 11-unit firefighter to douse
- Accused dies in court praying for bail
- Bridges on Bhola-Barishal route by 2025
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- OC Moazzem gets 8-yr jail
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Singer Asif turns actor
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM opens 4 dev schemes incl 5 new ships
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight