4 dead in shooting near Mexico’s presidential residence
Published: 02:27 PM, 8 December 2019
At least four people were killed and two injured in a shooting on Saturday near Mexico's National Palace, the presidential residence in the historic centre of the capital, reported news agency Reuters, citing officials.
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador was travelling outside Mexico City at the time.
Preliminary reports indicated that an armed man entered a building on a small street near the palace looking to relieve himself, city police said.
After two people in the building told him off, the man pulled out a pistol and opened fire. When police arrived, they found four people with gunshot wounds lying in the building's courtyard and shot at the attacker.
Paramedics found the gunman dead, along with two other people, the police said. One of three people who were injured died en route to the hospital.
More than 100 police officers quickly arrived and cordoned off the street, according to television images.
The building sits in a narrow, pedestrian-only street that opens onto an entrance of the National Palace used daily by government staff and reporters.
Lopez Obrador took office a year ago on promises to run a more austere government. In addition to cutting the president's salary by half, he shed various trappings of power, including a large force of secret service-style bodyguards.
He also turned the luxurious Los Pinos presidential residence into a cultural centre and moved into the centuries-old National Palace. - Reuters
- JMB men arrested in Khulna on 10-day remand
- Disabled child died after fallen from the roof
- Death toll climbs 22 in Turkish earthquake
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Xi says China faces `grave situation` as virus toll hits 41
- Horse race held in Mithapukur
- Delta Airlines fined for dropping Muslim paxs
- Gambia Justice Minister praised Bangladesh
- 2 bakers fined TK 6 lakh Jhalokati
- Defendant mobbed over threatening plaintiff
- Election manifesto to be given highest priority
- Housewife killed over dowry dispute, 3 arrested
- Pakistan threats India over World Cup!
- Ranveer Singh denies sexism!
- 5 detained with 102 ltr liquor
- Bangladesh Embassy in China launches ‘hotline’ service
- No bricks in public works
- 4,348 affected by cold-related disease in 24 hrs
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- Teacher commits suicide over debt burden
- Jubo League’s ultimatum to eliminate Dipu
- Palestine retains Bangabandhu Gold Cup crown
- Bangladesh Air Force chief left for Egypt visit
- Cattle trader hacked in Bhangura daylight
- Pakistan clinch T20I series over Bangladesh
- China shut down 14 cities as virus toll climbs
- Bangabandhu plant to meet the crisis of pure water
- Bangladesh post 137-run target for Pakistan
- Bangladeshi killed in Rome road crash
- China builds 1,000-bed hospital in 6 days
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack