4 dead as fire breaks out at India’s Covid-19 hospital
Published: 10:44 AM, 18 April 2021
Four people were killed after a fire broke out at a Covid-19 hospital in Raipur in India's Chhattisgarh state.
Among the deceased, one died due to fire and three of suffocation, Raipur Superintendent of Police Ajay Yadav said.
All the victims were Covid-19 patients and were admitted to the hospital for the last few days, the police official said, adding that the fire broke due to short-circuit in a fan and spread in other wards.
"We are investigating as to why the fire extinguishers were not used on time and action will be taken against the owners,” said Yadav.
On information, the fire-fighter rushed to the spot and evacuated other patients from the building.
Police said that a case of negligence will be registered against the owners of the hospital.