3rd phase of polls in 117 UZs underway
Published: 09:18 AM, 24 March 2019 Updated: 01:54 PM, 24 March 2019
Voting is underway in the third phase of the 5th Upazila Parishad elections to 117 upazila parishads under 17 districts on Sunday morning.
The balloting that began at 8:00 am will continue till 4:00 pm without any break.
About 1,376 aspirants, including 358 for chairman, 604 for vice-chairman and 414 for women vice-chairman posts, are contesting in the third phase polls.
Though the election to chairman, vice-chairman and reserved vice-chairman posts is being held under party banner, ruling Awami League has kept the vice-chairman and reserved vice-chairman posts open to all without giving party nominations.
About 2.47 crore voters will exercise their franchise today in the elections, being held in 10,018 polling centres in 117 upazilas.
Electronic voting machines (EVMs) was used in the polls in several upazilas while a general holiday has been announced today in the respective upazilas.
Additional members of the law enforcement agencies have been deployed till two days after the polling day from two days before the polling day to hold the election in a peaceful manner.
Though the third phase election was scheduled to be held in 127 Upazila Parishads under 17 districts in five divisions, there will be no voting in six upazilas as candidates in all posts were elected unopposed in those six upazilas.
Besides, polls to two upazilas of Cox’s Bazar Sadar and Narsingdi Sadar have been shifted to fourth phase of elections.
The fourth and fifth phases of the Upazila Parishad elections will be held on March 31 and July 18 respectively.
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- Monsoon rains wreak flood havoc across South Asia
- I am not a racist, insists Trump
- Rifat`s wife Minni arrested
- Flood affects 42 villages in Sherpur
- We have to stand against militancy: Monirul
- Someshwari river erosion continues
- Kader’s health test completed, doctors satisfied
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Before the last ball, I thought of Mushfiqur: Stokes
- Vivo ‘Made in Bangladesh’ soon
- Ershad laid to rest in Rangpur
- US Navy reports cyberwar skill as ‘National Miscalculation’
- Shakib in Harsha Bhogle CWC19 XI
- PM directed not to buy ‘DEMU’ train more
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Bijoy, Taijul call up for Sri Lanka series
- ECNEC clears 8 projects involving Tk 5,142.6 cr
- Ershad to be buried in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ex-RAJUK chair Harun gets anticipatory bail
- Heat wave sweeping over Khulna, may spread
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Rohingya crisis: ICC delegation in Dhaka
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva