3rd phase of polls in 117 UZs underway
Published: 09:18 AM, 24 March 2019 Updated: 01:54 PM, 24 March 2019
Voting is underway in the third phase of the 5th Upazila Parishad elections to 117 upazila parishads under 17 districts on Sunday morning.
The balloting that began at 8:00 am will continue till 4:00 pm without any break.
About 1,376 aspirants, including 358 for chairman, 604 for vice-chairman and 414 for women vice-chairman posts, are contesting in the third phase polls.
Though the election to chairman, vice-chairman and reserved vice-chairman posts is being held under party banner, ruling Awami League has kept the vice-chairman and reserved vice-chairman posts open to all without giving party nominations.
About 2.47 crore voters will exercise their franchise today in the elections, being held in 10,018 polling centres in 117 upazilas.
Electronic voting machines (EVMs) was used in the polls in several upazilas while a general holiday has been announced today in the respective upazilas.
Additional members of the law enforcement agencies have been deployed till two days after the polling day from two days before the polling day to hold the election in a peaceful manner.
Though the third phase election was scheduled to be held in 127 Upazila Parishads under 17 districts in five divisions, there will be no voting in six upazilas as candidates in all posts were elected unopposed in those six upazilas.
Besides, polls to two upazilas of Cox’s Bazar Sadar and Narsingdi Sadar have been shifted to fourth phase of elections.
The fourth and fifth phases of the Upazila Parishad elections will be held on March 31 and July 18 respectively.
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- Asghar, Hamid included in AFG World Cup squad
- Worsen condition of comedians
- Magical Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair, Skin & Health
- Two Rohingya drug traders killed in gunfight
- College admission begins from May 12
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- 19 killed in Colombia mudslide
- Google celebrates Earth Day with Doodle
- Heat wave may continue
- Shahenur, torched by husband, dies
- Padma Bridge: 11th span to be installed tomorrow
- Curfew lifted after Sri Lankan bombings
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Bangladesh, Brunei ink 7 instruments
- 4 kg gold recovered from Dhaka Airport toilet
- Bangladeshi youth gunned down by BSF
- Two killed in gas explosion, wall blown away
- Comedian wins Ukrainian presidency by landslide
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- New identity of Porimoni
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims