39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
Published: 04:00 PM, 16 January 2020
At least 39 people were killed in intense fighting between pro-government forces and jihadist-led fighters in Syria’s Idlib province overnight, a war monitor said Thursday.
The violence, which saw airstrikes, shelling and ground combat, further buried a ceasefire announced by Russia on Sunday in Idlib, the last major opposition bastion in the country. - Reported AFP
Government and allied forces took two villages in their advance towards the key town of Maaret al-Numan, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
According to the Britain-based war monitor, the fighting flared late on Wednesday in areas south of Maaret al-Numan, the key target of the Syrian government’s latest military offensive.
At least 22 anti-government fighters were killed, most of them members of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a group that includes fighters from the former Al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria. Besides, 17 government troops and allied militia were also killed in the fighting, said Rami Abdel Rahman, the head of the Observatory.
He added that government forces were now just seven kilometres (less than five miles) from Maaret al-Numan, a town that was one of the bastions of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad’s rule.
Nearly nine years into the conflict protests against the government are still held in some of the province’s towns.
In the city of Idlib itself, 18 civilians were killed in airstrikes on Wednesday, shattering the truce brokered by Moscow and rebel backer Ankara.
The fighting has prompted hundreds of thousands of civilians to flee their homes in recent weeks, exposing them to a harsh winter.
- 5 members of Ansarullah Bangla Team held
- Jibon crushed to death under Nilachal
- 6 killed as microbus carrying wedding party hits roadside tree
- Two held in Paltan with 10,000 Yaba
- 3 drug dealers held with 404 bottles Phensedyl
- Corona death toll may hit 40,000 in London
- BNP continues its unannounced war against court: Quader
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 21 in Italy
- Digital Banking Fair in Noakhali
- Azan in Mike consented in US city
- Finally US, Taliban to sign peace deal
- Puja Cherry’s crush married another Puja
- Mongolian president, foreign minister under quarantine
- Youths will create employment opportunities now
- Mugger pulled bag, woman dies falling from rickshaw
- 100 million people to get 100 services in Mujib Borsho
- ‘No sustainable development possible without quality education’
- Temperature likely to rise
- 20 bus travelers killed in collision with train
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 200 in Iran
- Tigress confirm World Cup exit in hat-trick loss
- February 29: A rare day of calendar
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 killed as bus ditched in Cumilla
- Robber killed in Moulvibazar gunfight
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation