4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
Published: 12:35 PM, 6 April 2020 Updated: 02:47 PM, 6 April 2020
Four more people have died from coronavirus in the last 24 hours, taking the total death toll to 13 in the country.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Zahid Maleque came up with the information after an emergency meeting with government and private health agencies and representatives at the conference room of Bangladesh College of Physicians & Surgeons(BCPS) building in Mohakhali on Monday.
Besides, 29 more people have been diagnosed with coronavirus, said the minister, adding that with this, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases has increased to 117 in the country.
The coronavirus, that first reported in China late last year, is now affecting 208 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. As of Monday afternoon, a total of 1,276,732 people have been diagnosed with the virus worldwide, as the death toll rises to 69,529 while 265,956 patients have recovered.
More than a third of the world's population is now under lockdown as an increasing number of countries implement sweeping measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
To stop spreading the deadly coronavirus, the Bangladesh government on March 23 declared a nationwide 10-day holiday shutting down the government and private offices excepting essential and healthcare facilities while it was due to expire on April 4. On April 1, the fresh holidays were declared from April 5 to 9 and the two days of (Friday & Saturday) would be added to these holidays.
Later on Sunday, the government issued an order extending the nationwide holiday further until April 14 in the wake of the deadly novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
“As part of the precautionary measures, April 12 and 13 is being declared (fresh) general holidays ... public holiday of Bangla New Year Pohela Boishakh will be added to these holidays,” a Public Administration Ministry statement said.
All have been requested to stay-at-home during the holidays unless they have a good reason to leave their homes.
- ‘BNP can’t shun politics of criticism, hatred even on Eid day’
- Gopalganj`s COVID-19 cases rise by 13 to 143
- BNP rotating in circle of negative politics amidst corona crisis
- Sri Lanka pacer held on drug charge
- 30 missing as boat sinks in Jamuna
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Motijheel zone ADC Mithu infected with coronavirus
- 1,119 policemen recovery from coronavirus
- COVID-19 claims more than 348,000 lives globally
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Rain likely to increase, signal 3 for maritime ports
- ‘Keyamat Theke Keyamat’ re-airs today
- Miss Universe NZ finalist Amber-Lee Friis found dead at home
- Envoy Group Chairman contracted COVID-19
- Sunbeams School founder Niloufer Manzur succumbs to COVID-19
- Deputy Speaker Fazle Rabbi’s wife dies at 67
- Another 22 infected with coronavirus in Tangail
- Woman gives childbirth at gate as hospital reluctant to admit her
- COVID-19 rapidly surging in Brazil
- Dhaka-returnee 9 months pregnant contracted COVID-19
- WHO suspends hydroxychloroquine’s trial for coronavirus treatment
- 5.1 quake hits Sylhet
- Maritime ports asked to keep hoisted signal 3
- Dr Zafrullah tests positive for coronavirus
- Earthquake of magnitude 5.5 jolts Manipur
- Bangladesh exports 6.5m PPE to US
- Coronavirus deaths toll top 347,000 globally
- Modi phones PM, extends Eid greetings
- President urges affluent to stand by poor
- Holy Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated across country
- All News »
- ‘Movement Pass’ will be required for movement
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- Track of cyclone ‘Amphan’ (Live)
- After ‘Amphan’, there will be ‘Cyclone Nisharga’
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs
- ‘Amphan’ closer to Bangladesh; Great Danger Signal No 10 issued
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- Great danger signal for Ctg-Cox’s Bazar too
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- ‘Amphan’ likely to hit late night
- Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
- 1251 new infected in 24hrs, 21 more dead
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- Cyclone Amphan: 5-10 foot tall tidal waves likely
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Cyclone Amphan: What Met Office say in special bulletin no 24
- ‘Amphan’ moves 165km towards Bangladesh in a night
- Super Cyclone ‘Amphan’ 700 km near to Bangladesh
- Amphan moving forwards with speed of 245 kmph
- Cyclone Amphan: Live updates
- 1617 new infected in 24hrs, 16 more dead
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- Trump calls WHO a puppet of China
- Cyclone Amphan: Great Danger Signal likely to be issued
- Uber Eats going to be closed in Bangladesh
- Online store “Facebook Shops” launched
- Nushrat wants to get married!
- Nearly 5000 recover from COVID-19 in country