3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
Published: 02:39 PM, 8 April 2020 Updated: 02:32 PM, 9 April 2020
Director of Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control And Research (IEDCR) Professor Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora briefing media
Three more people have died from coronavirus in the last 24 hours, raising the death toll to 20 in the country. Besides, 54 other people have tested positive for the virus during the period. With this, the total number of infected patients has increased to 218.
Director of Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control And Research (IEDCR) Professor Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora came up with the information at a regular press briefing at the health ministry in Dhaka through online on Wednesday.
Among the new COVID-19 patients, 33 are male while 21 are female, the IEDCR said, adding that besides, 39 of the 54 newly infected people were detected in Dhaka and others in other districts.
The coronavirus, that first reported in China late last year, is now affecting 209 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. As of Wednesday afternoon, a total of 1,432,140 people have been diagnosed with the virus worldwide, as the death toll rises to 82,101 while 302,247 patients have recovered.
More than a third of the world's population is now under lockdown as an increasing number of countries implement sweeping measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
To stop spreading the deadly coronavirus, the Bangladesh government on March 23 declared a nationwide 10-day holiday shutting down the government and private offices excepting essential and healthcare facilities while it was due to expire on April 4. On April 1, the fresh holidays were declared from April 5 to 9 and the two days of (Friday & Saturday) would be added to these holidays.
Later on Sunday, the government issued an order extending the nationwide holiday further until April 14 in the wake of the deadly novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. All have been requested to stay-at-home during the holidays unless they have a good reason to leave their homes.
- Rangpur records 20 fresh COVID-19 cases incl RAB personnel
- 21 doctors including civil surgeon placed at quarantine
- Farmer killed in lightning
- 13 more including journalist contracted COVID-19 in Brahmanbaria
- Decision to resume public transport on a limited scale
- Govt is trying to offset life and livelihood: Quader
- Elderly, pregnant prohibited at office
- Private airline wants to resume domestic flights
- Little rain submerges the city road
- 2 police inspectors transferred
- Decisions on flight operations tomorrow
- Gazipur records highest 115 coronavirus cases in a single day
- Public transport may remain shut down
- Remdesivir’s application in COVID-19 treatment in country started
- 34 more contracted coronavirus in Cumilla
- Businessman dies of coronavirus in Rupganj
- Edu institutions closed till June 15
- UP secretary with respiratory illness dies in Sylhet
- Edu institutions’ holidays may extend again
- Offices resume from May 31
- BSEC commission meeting on Thursday
- No one has ever seen this ‘Sagarkanya’ before
- 161 more policemen recover from coronavirus
- 170 Indians left Bangladesh
- Brother-nephews broke UP member’s legs in Gozaria
- Sujoy Shyam of Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra healthy and well
- Missing fisherman found dead in Sunamganj
- 42 contracted COVID-19 in Nokia factory, manufacturing suspended
- 6 killed in Saudi Arabia shootout
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- All News »
- ‘Movement Pass’ will be required for movement
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- After ‘Amphan’, there will be ‘Cyclone Nisharga’
- Track of cyclone ‘Amphan’ (Live)
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- ‘Amphan’ closer to Bangladesh; Great Danger Signal No 10 issued
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Great danger signal for Ctg-Cox’s Bazar too
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- 1617 new infected in 24hrs, 16 more dead
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- Uber Eats going to be closed in Bangladesh
- Legal notice sent to Anushka Sharma
- Online store “Facebook Shops” launched
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- High number of US coronavirus cases is ‘Badge of Honor’: Trump
- Cyclone ‘Amphan’: 15 feet high storm surge likely
- Areas under Danger Signal No 10
- These areas likely to be inundated by 15 feet high storm surge
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- IS new chief al-Qardash arrested
- Shokh herself reveals mystery of 2nd marriage?
- ‘Twilight’ actor found dead with girlfriend