Boat capsizes in Mediterranean
3 more Bangladeshi survivors return home
Published: 02:30 PM, 24 May 2019
3 more Bangladeshi nationals, who were rescued after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Tunisian Coast on the way to Italy from Libya, returned home on Friday.
TK-712, a flight of Turkish Airlines, carrying the survivors landed at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka around 5:38 am.
Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport Expatriate Welfare Desk confirmed the matter.
They are- Mahfuz Ahmed and Bilal Ahmed of Sylhet and Bahadur of Kishoreganj.
Meanwhile, Bangladesh Embassy sources in Libya said four of the 14 survivors were rescued from the hospital. The rest are given time as not willingly return to their country.
Earlier, 15 Bangladeshis returned home on May 21. They came back to the under the supervision of the International Organization for Migration (IMO) of the United Nations and Red Crescent.
According to Bangladesh embassy to Tripoli, around 60 migrants, most of whom from Bangladesh, died after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean off the coast of Tunisia on May 9.
The survivors, at least 16 of whom were rescued, said that the boat on board only men, including 51 Bangladeshis, three Egyptians, several Moroccans, Chadians, and other Africans capsized 40 miles off the coast of Sfax, south of Tunis, as it headed towards Italy from Zuwara in Libya.
A Tunisian fishing boat rescued 16 people and transferred them to a Tunisian coastguard vessel. 14 Bangladeshis, including a minor, were among the survivors.
International Organization for Migration called it the deadliest migrant boat sinking since January.
On May 14, Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) confirmed the identities of 27 Bangladesh nationals who died after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea.
RAB has already arrested three members of the trafficking unit involved in the incident. A case has also been filed withFenchuganj Police Station in Sylhet on behalf of the victim’s family.
- Indonesia ferry sinking leaves at least 15 dead
- Appeal hearing of war criminal Azhar starts
- England wins toss, bat first against Afghanistan
- US send more troops amid tanker tension with Iran
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ dominates MTV Movie and TV Awards
- HC orders to remove date-expired drugs
- ‘Mayabati’ gets uncut clearance
- Heat weave may abate
- Probe body formed over DIG Mizan’s graft scandal
- ‘Systemic failure’ prevents strategy over Rohingya crisis
- Snake farming in Bangladesh
- Southern China earthquake kills 12, injures 134
- Khaleda Zia gets bail in two defamation cases
- Egypt`s ex-president Morsi buried in Cairo
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Indian magician drowns attempting Houdini trick
- PM greets tigers
- ‘I am happy that we are still in World Cup’
- Brazil to face Venezuela early tomorrow
- Last phase voting in 20 UZs underway
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Three countries went dark and no one knows why
- Egypt’s ousted president Morsi dies
- Don’t make pocket committee with opportunists: Quader
- 6 Most Surprising Mosques in Africa!
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- EC made all measures for fair polls: EC secy
- Enough money in banks, not for looting: PM
- Tk 15,000 cr supplementary budget for current FY passed in JS
- Stand for a while to lose weight, how?
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- England wins beating Windies
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- JS budget session begins today
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament