3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
Published: 04:11 PM, 22 August 2019
Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has filed a report with the High Court saying that mobile operators Grameenphone, Banglalink and Robi have given Tk 8,744.19 crore to Google and Facebook for the last five years.
The report was filed in the High Court (HC) bench comprising Justice Moinul Islam Chowdhury and Justice Md Ashraful Kamal.
Lawyer AKM Alamgir Parvez filed the report on behalf of BTRC. Lawyer Mohammad Humayun Kabir Pallab was present for the writ. Deputy Attorney General Tushar Kanti Roy was present for the state.
During the hearing, the report signed by Engineer Md Nahidul Hasan, Deputy Director of BTRC’s Systems and Services Department, was submitted. However, the National Board of Revenue submitted another report on the same issue.
As not satisfying with the report, the High Court has directed the NBR to submit the report again by October 19.
At the same time, the court has directed the NBR to inform the court what steps have been taken to collect revenue from all Internet-based companies.
Earlier on April 18, 2018, the High Court ordered an investigation into tax evasion of all Internet-based companies, including Facebook and the search engine Google.
The committee formed by finance ministry secretary, governor of Bangladesh Bank, chairman of NBR, secretary of the law ministry, secretary of information and technology ministry, chairman of BTRC and postal and telecommunications ministry — was directed to investigate into the matter.
It is also asked to collect revenue from the amount paid against any transaction including advertising, domain sale and sale of various licenses through the Internet.
In the meantime, the HC issued a rule asking why it should not be directed to collect the required revenue from Internet-based companies. the defendants were asked to respond to this rule within four weeks.
Earlier on April 9, 2018, the search engine Google and social media Facebook filed a writ petition against the tax evasion of all Internet-based companies.
- 8 projects including cancer centres in each division approved
- Iran supreme leader rules out negotiations with US
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Dhaka-Mymensingh train service resumes
- Shahid Kapoor’s 2nd marriage!
- Nirmal Purja set for final push in record 14-peak bid
- Traditional silk sector starts getting back lost glory
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- Two brothers die from snakebite while sleeping
- NGO worker killed in Panchagarh road crash
- 2 killed as bus hits motorcycle in Gazipur
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to spread wings today
- Bangladeshi youth refuses reward for €2,000 cash find in Rome
- Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea to play tonight
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Zareen Khan recalls facing casting couch
- BD to host SAFF Championship in Sept 2020
- 5 cops in remand held with Yaba
- 1st edition of Amputee football held in capital
- Scientists detect newborn black hole
- Yugi’s lime, a rural art
- Tips to protect your mobile bank
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Sanjay Dutta in TV drama series!
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Motorcyclist killed in Bagerhat road crash
- US shows evidence of Iran’s involvement in Saudi oil attacks
- PM receives APJ Kalam Memorial Award
- 4 officials promoted to senior secretaries
- Zinc factory in remote village!
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- White House: A monstrous residence
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Padma Bridge’s toll yet to be decided: Quader
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to be inaugurated Saturday
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal
- Tajia procession brought out amid tight security
- Rohingya homes destroyed for government facilities
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- 2,500 missing in Bahama’s Hurricane Dorian