3 lakhs evacuated as ‘Bulbul’ approaches
Published: 07:59 PM, 9 November 2019
Nearly three lakhs vulnerable people have already been evacuated as a severe cyclonic storm is approaching Bangladesh’s coastline, prompting the met office to issue great danger signal number 10 for coastal districts.
Disaster management ministry’s senior secretary Md Shah Kamal told the news, that nearly three lakhs vulnerable people from Bhola, Barguna, Patuakhali, Barishal, Pirojpur, Jhalakathi, Bagherhat, Khulna, and Satkhira and their offshore islands and chars were moved out to cyclone shelters or safer places
till 12noon today.
“We have targeted 18 lakh people in nine coastal districts to shift them to safer places to save their lives from the cyclonic storm “Bulbul”. Bangladesh Army, Coast Guards, local administration, volunteers of the cyclone preparedness program, officials and employees of the Disaster Management Ministry are jointly working in the evacuation drive,” he added.
“In most vulnerable areas including chars (small island), we are trying to help people move out along with their valuables and cattle as well,” he said.
Kamal said the evacuees were being provided dry food while “we have enough stock of relief materials for them”.
Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) issued great danger signal number 10 has been issued for Mongla and Payra maritime ports and 9 for Chattogram port as very severe cyclonic storm ‘Bulbul’ is likely to move in a North/Northeasterly direction and may cross West Bengal- Khulna coast near Sundarbans by this evening.
Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur and their offshore islands and chars have came under great danger signal no 9 while the maritime port of Cox’s Bazar has also been advised to hoist local warning signal no. 4, a Met Office weather bulletin said.
The coastal districts of Khulna, Satkhira, Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni,Chandpur, Borguna, Patuakhali, Barishal, Bhola, Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagerhat and their offshore islands and chars are likely to be battered by wind speed upto 100-12kph in gusts/squalls with heavy to very heavy falls under the influence of the storm.
The bulletin said under the influence of the very severe cyclonic storm ‘Bulbul’ and the moon phase, the low lying areas of districts of Chattogram, Noakhali, Laxmipur, Feni, Chandpur, Borguna, Bhola , Patuakhali, Barishal, , Pirozpur, Jhalokathi, Bagerhat, Khulna, Satkhira and their offshore islands and chars are likely to be inundated by storm surge of 5-7 feet high above normal astronomical tide.
Maximum sustained wind speed within 74km of the very severe cyclone center is about 130kph, rising to 150kph in gusts or squalls and will remain very high near the very severe cyclonic center, the bulletin added.
All fishing boats and trawlers over North Bay have been advised to remain in shelter till further notice.
- Ethiopia to unveil referendum results on new state on Saturday
- Road accidents kill 2 in Ctg
- Probe body formed over Munshiganj road crash
- NU 1st year degree exams to begin Nov 24
- Parash to be the chairman of Jubo League!
- Helper killed in Cumilla bus-pickup collision
- MP Bubly expelled from Awami League
- Kohli, bowlers put India in command
- Ebadat removes Pujara, 3 down for India
- 18 held for giving proxy in NSI recruitment test
- ‘Unnecessary’ overseas tours of govt officers
- BNP`s movement issue no more exists: Quader
- DU to introduce online service on Dec 1
- Bus service resumes in Jashore
- ‘Violent conflict likely if Rohingya crisis not resolved’
- Concussed Liton, Nayeem replaced by Miraz, Taijul
- New onion in the market for Tk 60
- Let`s make healthy ‘Spinach-mushrooms’
- Syria war kills 29,000 children
- 21 yrs old become the youngest judge in India
- Munshiganj fatal road crash: Identity of 9 found
- Female UP member occupied farmer’s land
- Bangladesh’s first concussion replacement in test cricket
- Fatal road crash in Munshiganj leaves 10 dead
- Ishant takes a fifer, Bangladesh all out for 106
- Global participants showcase community health workers’ role
- Colombia anti-government protesters clash with police
- Historic Shat Gombuj Masjid increases revenue income
- 559 dengue patients hospitalized in country
- 70 gold bars seized at Ctg airport
- All News »
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Fire breaks out at Rajdhani Super Market
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- Graduation at 9!
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- Srijit’s talks on marriage with Mithila
- International Men’s Day today
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- PSC, Ebtedayee terminal exams begin tomorrow
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Amazon appeals $10B Pentagon contract won by Microsoft
- 5 dead in Bolivia clashes challenging interim govt
- Delightful 2nd day of Dhaka Int’l Folk fest today
- 2.5-km to be visible
- PM joins gleaming Dubai air show
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft this evening
- Nusrat Jahan at ICU