3 killed as Eritrean troops open fire in Ethiopia’s Tigray
Published: 11:32 AM, 15 April 2021
Eritrean soldiers have “opened fire on civilians” in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, killing three people and wounding at least 19, said Amnesty International, an international rights group.
The watchdog said in a statement on Wednesday that the attack took place in the center of Adwa town on Monday.
The attack came more than two weeks after Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said “Eritrea had agreed to withdraw its forces” from the northern Ethiopian region during the conflict that broke out in November 2020.
Sarah Jackson, deputy director of Amnesty East Africa, said “these deliberate attacks on civilians” are banned by international humanitarian law and must stop.
Jackson reiterated Amnesty’s call for an international investigation of human rights abuses in the months-long conflict in Tigray, including possible war crimes and crimes against humanity. – reports Al Jazeera.
Eritrea has not commented on the Adwa shootings. It has previously denied multiple reports Eritreans have committed mass killings and rapes.
Ethiopia and Eritrea long denied Eritreans were involved in the war, contradicting testimony from residents, rights groups, aid workers, diplomats and even some Ethiopian civilian and military officials.
However, the Ethiopian Premier finally acknowledged their presence in March while speaking to legislators, but Eritrea has not made any public statements on the issue since Abiy’s admission.