3 killed, 29 hurt in Malaysia shopping mall explosion
Published: 05:24 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 05:24 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Three people were killed and 29 injured on Tuesday when a powerful explosion rocked a shopping mall in the Malaysian state of Sarawak, but a fire official said it was not caused by a bomb.
The official Bernama news agency said the blast could have been caused by a leaking gas tank.
Wan Abdul Mubin, head of the fire rescue department in the state capital Kuching, told AFP his office received an emergency call at around 0737 GMT.
He said, “We scrambled 39 officers to the scene. We are investigating the cause of the explosion. It is one of the worst tragedies in the state in years. But it is not a bomb.”
“We recovered the bodies of three men. And we have helped in the evacuation of 24 people injured to the nearby public hospital,” he added.
Wan Abdul said the explosion happened near a store on the ground floor of the shopping mall that was undergoing renovation.
A video clip of the aftermath showed the facade of the store torn apart, with some people screaming for help.
“I was purchasing a pizza in front of the shop when suddenly a strong explosion occurred,” George Sting, 39, told Bernama.
“The workers in the shop immediately ran out,” he said, adding that some were seriously injured.
Wina Simion, 46, who was sitting near the store with her family members said the explosion caused their table to flip.
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Why lightning often strikes twice
- Nojibur terms SMEs as driving force of economy
- West Bengal-Uttar Pradesh will made Delhi’s `Throne`: Mamata
- Judicial probe into cops’ role in Nusrat murder
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Eid train tickets to be available at 6 spots: Minister
- AL’s joint meeting tomorrow
- `Nusrat killing could be avoided if action taken in prior cases`
- Severe monitoring over market in Ramadan: Tipu
- BAF holds Junior Command, Staff Course certificate ceremony
- PM donates Tk 35 lakh to actor Ahmad Sharif
- Advice to take Subir Nandi abroad
- Mannan calls for investment in solar energy
- Bangladesh, Brunei likely to sign 7 MoUs
- Destiny recovrerd Boishakhi TV’s ownership
- Sri Lanka announces WC squad, dump Chandimal
- 6.1-quake causes light damage in Taiwan capital, east coast
- Nusrat murder: Shamim put on 5-day remand
- Scientists discover 220 million-year-old dinosaur fossils
- Housewife burnt to death in Chattogram
- 3 doctors for 1.5 lakh people
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt now single, says judge
- NZ official hid camera in embassy toilet
- Suffering of cancer patients in Cumilla
- PM orders continued review of disaster preparedness steps
- Rajib’s death: report on May 22
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Bangladeshi man jailed in UK for murdering wife
- Youth killed in ambulance-covered van collision
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- GD filed over Nusrat’s death
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Nusrat to be buried in family graveyard
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- PM directs stern action against Nusrat’s killers
- Nusrat murder: 2 including Moksud arrested
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- Julian Assange faces five years in jail
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- 8 killed as bus falls into Joypurhat ditch
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Autopsy of Nusrat completed, body handed over
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Messi coming to Dhaka
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar