3 including gang-rape accused killed in gunfights
Published: 09:49 AM, 5 August 2019 Updated: 05:24 PM, 5 August 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Three people including a man accused in a gang-rape case were killed in separate gunfights in Habiganj and Mymensingh early Monday.
In Mymensingh, an alleged drug trader and an accused in a gang-rape case were killed in separate gunfights in Sadar and Fulbaria Upazilas early Monday.
The deceased were identified as Jony Mia, 26 and Jahirul Islam, 20. Jony was accused in 11 cases and three of them are over drugs. Jahirul was an accused in a case over gang-raping a 16-year-old girl on August 3 at Palashtoli village in Fulbaria Upazila.
Acting on information that a group of drug peddlers were gathering in the area police conducted a drive in Charpuliamari area of Sadar Upazila at 12:00 am, said Shah Kamal Akanda, officer-in-charge of sadar police station.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the drug peddlers opened fire on them, forcing them to fire back in self-defence.
Police later recovered injured Jony and took him to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
Meanwhile, on secret information, police launched a drive to arrest an accused in a gang-rape case at Kaladaha in Fulbaria Upazila at 2:30 am.
Sensing the presence of police at Eidgah ground area, the accused along with three others first threw bricks and stones and later started firing on them indiscriminately, prompting the law enforcers to fire back in self-defense, triggering a gunfight.
Police recovered Jahirul’s bullet-hit from the spot and took to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
In Habiganj, a robber was killed in a gunfight with police at Kalinagar area of Chunarughat Upazila early Monday.
The deceased was identified as Sultan Miah, resident of Kulaura Upazila of the Moulvibazar District.
Four policemen - ASI Sadek, Constable Kabir Hossain, Mahi Ahmed and Shaheen Ahmed - were injured in the incident. They have been admitted to the Upazila Health Complex.
On secret information that a group of robbers were taking preparation for robbery in Kalinagar area, police conducted a drive there, said Sheikh Nazmul Haque, officer-in-charge of Chunarughat police station.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the robbers opened fire on them, forcing them to fire back in self-defence.
After the skirmish, police recovered injured Sulaiman and took him to District Sadar Modern Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
Several local weapons including a pistol, Ramda were recovered from the scene, the police official said.
- S Korea`s young men are fighting against feminism
- Hong Kong protesters trash subway station, stage mall rally
- 19 arrested from 3 Spa centers at Gulshan-1
- Nasima Begum appointed NHRC Chairman
- Houthi rebels in Yemen say they will stop attacks on Saudi Arabia
- 5 JMB men sentenced 12 yrs jail for Khilkhet bomb attack
- 16 years friendship or something!
- U-19 cricket team leaves for NZ Monday
- Couple becomes millionaire by cheating
- Live crocodile in pond!
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Daughter demands info on Mehbooba Mufti’s arrest
- Huge Typhoon Tapah threatens Japan, South Korea
- Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football held in Gaibandha
- India opt to bat in 3rd T20
- Stem cells to repair brain
- Stay out of Gulf; Iran warns
- Alia Bhatt to play lead in Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s Gangubai!
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Casino gadgets recovered from 4 clubs in Motijheel
- Online products sellers to pay VAT: NBR
- College student killed for ransom
- ACC: Govt officials held in Dinajpur
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Rashid Khan uncertain for tri-series final
- JU `A` unit admission tests held
- How can you make your feet pretty?
- Bandit jumps into river gripping woman
- Charge sheet against Minni fabricated: Lawyer
- Foreign liquor recovered in Padma!
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Puja Cherry got married!
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing