3 children burnt to death ‘in sleep’
Published: 09:37 AM, 16 March 2021 Updated: 02:20 PM, 16 March 2021
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Three children were burnt to death in their sleep in a fire at a dwelling house in Chakaria of Cox’s Bazar. Five more people were injured while trying to douse the fire.
The fire broke out at Sabanghata village in Harbang UP of the upazila around 12:00 pm on Monday.
The deceased have been identified as – Jahedul Islam, 12, son of Jagir Hossain of the area and his Jagir’s daughters Mim Akter, 10, and Mithu Moni, 06. However, the identities of the injured were not known.
Upon receiving the news, Chakaria police reached the spot and prepared an inquest report.
Harbang UP Parishad chairman Miranul Islam said the house was a clay-made warehouse in the hills. The children died in their sleep due to a sudden fire. The fire is thought to have started from an electrical short circuit. The house was completely burnt down in the fire.
Tk 3 lakh has been lost due to fire, said the UP chairman.
Chakaria Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Shaker Mohammad Jubayer said police reached the spot and prepared an inquest report on the bodies. The injured have been sent to the hospital.
Meanwhile, despite calling the fire service more than once, they could not be reached for comments.