25 killed in India over NRC, CAB chaos
Published: 08:11 PM, 21 December 2019 Updated: 08:11 PM, 21 December 2019
Twenty-five were killed in violence across India over new citizenship laws. Of them, 15 were killed in Uttar Pradesh. The police said four persons have died in Meerut, two each in Firozabad and Bijnor, one each in Sambhal, Kampur, Varanasi and Lucknow.
Police say 263 Uttar Pradesh cops have also been injured in the violence since Thursday.
Violence had taken place across 13 districts on Thursday. The list included Saharanpur, Deoband, Shamli, Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Ghaziabad, Hapur, Sambhal, Aligarh, Bahraich, Ferozabad, Kanpur, Bhadohi and Gorakhpur.
Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police OP Singh has denied that police firing was responsible for any of the deaths. "We did not shoot even a single bullet," he said. Another officer had claimed that "if any firing happened, it was from the protesters' side".
The Citizenship (Amendment) Act makes religion the test of citizenship -- a first in the country. The government says it will help minorities from three Muslim-dominated countries to get citizenship if they fled to India because of religious persecution.
Critics say it is designed to discriminate against Muslims and violates the secular principles of the constitution.
Protests against the law have been sweeping the country since December 11, when it was signed off by President Ram Nath Kovind.
While initially, the northeast, Delhi and Bengal were affected, the protests escalated in Uttar Pradesh since Thursday. Lucknow was the first to join into the 13-city protest called across India.
It was also one of the two cities to witness much violence - the other was Bangalore.
The catalyst was Sunday's protests by students of Jamia Millia Islamia in Delhi. The march had ended in violence, with outsiders joining in, burning vehicles and throwing stones at the police.
The subsequent police action on students had triggered a string of student protests that started at the Aligarh Muslims University.
On Thursday, violence broke out in three key areas in Lucknow city, with protesters burning vehicles and clashing with the police.
- Police involved in Delhi mosque blaze incident
- Handover book to children, not smartphone: Information Minister
- 15 families confined over fence
- China to send 100,000 ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust plague
- 12 Jamaat-e-Islami activists sent to Jail
- Airport underpass being launched on Bangabandhu’s birthday
- 2 detained with 66kg weed in Natore
- Drug smuggler caught at airport with yaba in stomach
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- College girl on deathbed in torture of ‘Jiner Badshah’
- Youth arrested with 10,000 pc. of yaba
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in Pirojpur
- All from Cox’s Bazar Land Acquisition Branch immediately transferred
- Quota system reformed in Class-XI admission
- 11kg silver seized at Satkhira border
- ‘Shukno Golap’ of Nahid released
- BD in top among hilsa enriched countries
- BD women’s T20 WC ends with two straight defeats
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
- Don’t work without appointment letter: Hasan Mahmud urges journalists
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Ways to remove dirk circle under eyes in 10 minutes!
- Bangladesh under pressure losing openers
- 4 brick kilns demolished, fined Tk 14 lakh
- Khaleda’s bail plea rejected
- Garbage stack removed from Habiganj hospital gate
- Mamata Banerjee’s poem amid Delhi violence
- Italy expats urged to stay uppermost alert
- Acid thrown to make Muslims eyeless in Delhi
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test