24 killed as bus plunges off cliff in Tunisia
Published: 11:54 AM, 2 December 2019
At least 24 Tunisians were killed and 18 more injured when a bus plunged into a ravine on Sunday, in one of the country’s worst road accidents.
The bus had set off from Tunis to the picturesque northern mountain town of Ain Draham, a popular autumn destination for Tunisians near the Algerian border, the tourism ministry said.
Twenty-four people were killed and 18 injured, the victims aged between 20 and 30, said the health ministry.
An AFP team that went to the scene saw the mangled remains of the bus leaning on its side in the ravine near a river bed, with its seats scattered around the crash site.
The top of the bus appears to have been torn off and bodies, some in sports clothes and trainers, were strewn across the ground.
A sign reading in English “Sweet Time Travel” — apparently the name of the travel agency that ferried the tourists from Tunis — lay among the debris.
The bus with 43 people on board was traveling through the northern Ain Snoussi region when it veered off the road, the interior ministry said.
The vehicle had “fallen into a ravine after crashing through an iron barrier”, it said on its Facebook page.
The injured were transferred to nearby hospitals, it added.
Forensic experts were deployed to investigate the crash, AFP correspondents said.
It was not immediately clear what caused the accident, but Tunisian roads are known to be dangerous and run-down.
In April, seven women day laborers were among 12 people killed when the pickup truck taking them to work collided with a minivan in the impoverished central region of Sidi Bouzid.
In August 2016, at least 16 people were killed and 85 others wounded in another road accident in the mountainous region of Kasserine.
The authorities recognize the scale of the problem but have said the country’s security challenges, including jihadist attacks, have kept them from giving it more attention.
- 4 marine academies to be launched this year
- Seven-morning tasks will keep you refresh for daylong
- ‘BNP conspiring sensing defeat in city polls’
- British Airways canceled all flights to China
- Zimbabwe consolidate lead after Raza`s seven
- Govt forms 7 committees to guard rice market
- Stronger effort need to rein child death in country: Study
- Rickshaw driver killed in Sunamganj road crash
- Apple delivers best-ever quarter, powered by iPhones, services
- 4 BIHT students expelled over ragging
- 1390 mt onion arrived from Myanmar in one day
- Free sewing training to 100 women in Faridpur
- 6 held with yaba in Capital
- Question leak clique member held in Kushtia
- Bangladesh takes on South Africa U-19 tomorrow
- BPL begins on 13 February
- Mushfiq to miss BCL first round
- Australian scientists first to recreate ‘Coronavirus’
- CMH transplants bone marrow first time
- PM urges FFs to tell country’s Liberation War history to youths
- RAB detained 2 with drugs
- Car loaded 576 can beer seized in capital, 2 arrested
- ‘History of Bangladesh Rock: The Legacy of Azam Khan’
- Govt ready to bring Bangladeshis trapped in China’
- HC for recruit 117 doctors in prison hospitals
- Allama Azhar Ali Anwar Shah dies
- 57 kg weed seized in Ashuganj, arrested 2
- 1 arrested with Yaba-heroin in Mohadevpur
- Man gets death for killing wife in Kushtia
- Salma to lead Tigress in T20I World Cup
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin fare Tk 15,000!
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to 106
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Basketball legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- 3 US crew killed in Australia firefighting plane crash
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- ‘Coronavirus will not enter Bangladesh’
- Bangladesh meet Pakistan in 3rd T20 today