23 civilians killed in S. Afghan
Published: 02:20 PM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 02:20 PM, 30 November 2018
Twenty-three civilians, including at least 10 children and eight women, were killed and three children injured following an airstrike in Afghanistan's restive southern province of Helmand on Tuesday, the UN mission in the country said Friday.
“Preliminary findings from the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) indicate that as many as 23 civilians were killed and three injured Tuesday in an airstrike in Garmser district of Helmand province during operations conducted by pro-government forces against Taliban in the area,” UNAMA said in a statement.
Earlier reports said that more than one dozen civilians lost their lives in the incident.
“The incident took place during an operation involving Afghan and international military forces, when international military forces conducted an airstrike following engagements between the forces on the ground and Taliban,” the statement read.
UNAMA welcomed indications that “relevant authorities have initiated investigations into the civilian casualty reports, and it will continue its independent enquiries to establish additional facts, sharing the findings with parties as part of advocacy efforts for improved mitigation measures in their future operations to prevent civilian casualties.”
The mission has recorded this year a sharp increase in civilian casualties from aerial attacks in the first nine months compared to the same period in 2017.
“The 649 civilian casualties recorded between Jan. 1 and Sept. 30 is more than the number of civilian casualties from aerial operations recorded over every entire year since UNAMA began systematic civilian casualty documentation in 2009,” the statement noted.
UNAMA reminded all parties to the conflict to uphold their obligations to protect civilians from harm, and held that all parties to the conflict must strictly adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law to take all feasible measures to protect civilians, the statement added.
- Walking beyond political obstacles, challenges
- President, PM mourns death of Prof Muzaffar Ahmed
- Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United to play tonight
- Ivy Rahman`s 15th death anniv today
- Brazil sends army to tackle Amazon blazes
- Robber killed in Sylhet gunfight
- US-China trade war: Trump imposes furious tariff
- Nuclear Titanic: 1st Russ seaborne NPP
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- Hesson, Katich join IPL’s Bangalore franchise
- Prof Muzaffar Ahmed passes away
- 2 killed in Ctg road crash
- Bangladesh-Argentina agree to increase trade
- Life of Brian: Most blasphemous film ever
- France-Brazil deal halted over Amazon fires
- England 67 all out in third Ashes Test
- Seaside dam-road collapsed: No reform in 7 yrs
- 200 examiners to miss exam papers evaluation in Rajshahi
- Problems in rotting jute
- Amazon fires a global crisis says Macron
- President for communal harmony to attain development
- US-Russia trade barbs at UN over ‘new arms race’
- Language Movement veteran Dr MA Gafur dies
- Malta cultivation in Gauripur
- Six-year-old YouTube star buys $6.5mn property
- Bangladesh beat Bhutan by 5-2 in SAFF U-15 tie
- Ivy Rahman`s 15th death anniv tomorrow
- Jaya Ahsan in spectral character
- Unrest in India-Pakistan border again
- Dengue claims housewife’s life in Satkhira
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- A new milestone for Purnima
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- PEC exam schedule published
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- World Mosquito Day today
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites