23 civilians killed in S. Afghan
Published: 02:20 PM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 02:20 PM, 30 November 2018
Twenty-three civilians, including at least 10 children and eight women, were killed and three children injured following an airstrike in Afghanistan's restive southern province of Helmand on Tuesday, the UN mission in the country said Friday.
“Preliminary findings from the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) indicate that as many as 23 civilians were killed and three injured Tuesday in an airstrike in Garmser district of Helmand province during operations conducted by pro-government forces against Taliban in the area,” UNAMA said in a statement.
Earlier reports said that more than one dozen civilians lost their lives in the incident.
“The incident took place during an operation involving Afghan and international military forces, when international military forces conducted an airstrike following engagements between the forces on the ground and Taliban,” the statement read.
UNAMA welcomed indications that “relevant authorities have initiated investigations into the civilian casualty reports, and it will continue its independent enquiries to establish additional facts, sharing the findings with parties as part of advocacy efforts for improved mitigation measures in their future operations to prevent civilian casualties.”
The mission has recorded this year a sharp increase in civilian casualties from aerial attacks in the first nine months compared to the same period in 2017.
“The 649 civilian casualties recorded between Jan. 1 and Sept. 30 is more than the number of civilian casualties from aerial operations recorded over every entire year since UNAMA began systematic civilian casualty documentation in 2009,” the statement noted.
UNAMA reminded all parties to the conflict to uphold their obligations to protect civilians from harm, and held that all parties to the conflict must strictly adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law to take all feasible measures to protect civilians, the statement added.
- U-19 CWC: Japan faces India today
- Drug trader killed in Khilkhet gunfight
- 3 consecutive rocket attack near US Embassy
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- Hand bombs blasted in Noakhali
- HC stays Primary recruitment test result of 14 districts
- Youth wants Mir’s daughter number!
- Miller encourages voters to cast votes
- Science-Technology Fair begins in Adamdighi
- 3 brother detained for stabbing elder
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU