20 killed in Syria air strikes
Published: 05:01 PM, 8 December 2019
Air strikes by Syrian government and Russian forces killed at least 20 people in rebel-held northwestern Syria on Saturday, activists and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The attacks hit five villages in the Idlib region of the northwest, part of the last major territorial foothold of the insurgency against President Bashar al-Assad.
Russian jets killed at least nine people in an attack that hit a market in the village of Balyoun and another four people in a strike on the village of al-Bara, the Observatory said.
Five more people were killed in a barrel bomb attack by Syrian government helicopters on the village of Abdita, the Observatory said. Barrel bombs killed two more people in the villages of Jebghas and Tel Minis, it added.
Syrian state media carried no reports of military operations by the Syrian army or its Russian ally in those areas on Saturday.
The Observatory said eight children were among the dead.
Russia and Turkey, which backs the Syrian opposition and has troops on the ground in Idlib, brokered a ceasefire in the northwest in August but attacks have continued since then.
At least 11 people were killed in Syrian government airstrikes that hit two outdoor markets on Monday, the civil defense said.
President Bashar al-Assad has vowed to recover “every inch” of Syria, which descended into a multi-sided conflict after the eruption of protests against his rule in 2011. - Reuters
- Launch social revolution against drug abuse: President
- England earn series victory in South Africa
- UK for joint partnership with Bangladesh to combat climate issues
- Hong Kong rioters set fire on coronavirus affected house
- “Govt plans to set up public university in each district”
- BNP hatching conspiracy to foil polls: HT Imam
- One detained with weapons in Keraniganj
- Woman detained with weed in Brahmanbaria
- Iranian aircraft carrying 136 people slides onto highway (with video)
- Japanese drink swallow belly fat
- BCSIR Science Fair begins in Rajshahi
- Elias, best DC of Chattogram
- West Bengal Assembly passes resolution against CAA
- PM orders steps to return stranded Bangladeshis from China
- Carrying legitimate arms banned
- Badminton Federation isn`t refunding money to junior players
- Fire burns residence in Gazipur
- Hubei suspends passport application to curb coronavirus outbreak
- Magnitude 4.1 quake jolts in Sylhet-Sunamganj
- Sajjadul Hasan named chairman of Biman
- Bride commits suicide for disliking husband
- 11 organizations acquired ISO certificates
- DB detained drug dealer in Barhisal
- Beehives in UP building, funding for winter clothes
- DITF duration extended
- 65 platoons BGB to be deployed for city polls
- Get rid of dandruff forever!
- Awami League Secretariat meeting tomorrow
- Easy way to be fat
- Child killed in Meherpur road crash
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- Facebook to boost site safety with 1,000 more UK staff
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!