Indian magician drowns attempting Houdini trick
Published: 11:17 AM, 18 June 2019 Updated: 11:20 AM, 18 June 2019
An Indian magician who went missing in the river on Sunday while shackled in a bid to recreate Harry Houdini's world-famous trick has drowned.
Chanchal Lahiri, who was tied up with steel chains and rope, was meant to escape and swim to safety but did not emerge from the Hooghly river near the Howrah Bridge in Kolkata in West Bengal state.
Crowds who watched him take the plunge on Sunday alerted the police, who then launched a search operation.
His body, which washed up some 1km (0.6 miles) from the site of the incident, was identified late on Monday.
Lahiri, also known as Mandrake, was lowered into the river from a boat for his trick. He was shackled with six locks and a chain as spectators on two boats watched him.
Several people had also gathered by the shore and some stood on the landmark Howrah Bridge in Kolkata.
According to the Press Trust of India, the crowd started to panic after Lahiri did not appear after more than 10 minutes.
Jayanta Shaw, a photographer with a local newspaper, witnessed Lahiri attempting the trick. He told media that he spoke to him before the magician started his act.
"I asked him why he risked his life for magic," Shaw said. "He [Mr Lahiri] smiled and said, 'If I do it right, it's magic. If I make a mistake, it becomes tragic.'"
The magician told him that he wanted to do this trick in order "to revive interest in magic".
This is not the first time that Lahiri had attempted a risky underwater trick. He was lowered into the same river inside a glass box more than 20 years ago but had managed to escape to safety.
According to Press Trust of India, Lahiri had sought permission from the Kolkata Police and Kolkata Port Trust before performing his trick.
However, he did not mention that the trick would have a "connection with water", said police.
"He had mentioned the act was to happen in a boat or vessel... hence we allowed him permission. He vaguely mentioned an 'extra act' which we did not clarify," said a police officer who was not identified. "We are investigating."
- Indian magician drowns attempting Houdini trick
- PM greets tigers
- ‘I am happy that we are still in World Cup’
- Brazil to face Venezuela early tomorrow
- Last phase voting in 20 UZs underway
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Three countries went dark and no one knows why
- Egypt’s ousted president Morsi dies
- Don’t make pocket committee with opportunists: Quader
- 6 Most Surprising Mosques in Africa!
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- EC made all measures for fair polls: EC secy
- Enough money in banks, not for looting: PM
- Tk 15,000 cr supplementary budget for current FY passed in JS
- Stand for a while to lose weight, how?
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem denied bail, sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- JS budget session begins today
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today