17-year old blind dog protects lost child
Published: 01:34 PM, 23 April 2018
Max, a 17-year-old, part blind and deaf dog
A 17-year-old, part blind and deaf dog has been hailed a hero after looking after a three-year-old child who had got lost, alone in the Australian bushland overnight.
Max, the family dog, stayed by the side of little Aurora for more than 16 hours, after the youngster went missing after going for a walk outside the vast expanse of rural space outside her family’s property in Queensland.
The elderly pet was named an “honorary police dog” by Queensland police for helping keep the toddler safe and warm overnight and helping reunite her with her family.
A mass search had been launched involving two helicopters, as temperatures dropped and fears grew that the child could have fallen into a dam near the property.
Her grandmother Leisa Bennet spoke of the sleepless night they had after hours of searching had led to nothing - and how Max the dog eventually helped her locate little Aurora.
She said, “We were standing here alone in the darkness knowing a three-year-old was out in the cold. It wasn’t a situation where we could go home and sleep in our warm blankets knowing she was out here.”
Continuing to search in the darkness, she finally heard the youngster’s voice.
I thought it was a bird at first yelling back yes. But then when I heard her yell `Grammy`, I knew it was her,” she said. “When I got to the top the dog came to me and led me straight to her.”
The little girl escaped the ordeal unharmed, aside from a few grazes and bruises from the rough terrain.
Inspector Craig Berry from Queensland Police said, “The child had been out in the elements all night with only the company of an elderly, blind, half deaf dog, so it was a positive outcome.”
Queensland Police posted a picture of the dog on their Facebook page, which quickly got more than 11,000 ‘likes’.
The police team wrote: “SUCH A GOOD BOY, MAX!" - Independent
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Afghanistan all out for 125
- China’s largest ever Picasso exhibition opens
- Rapist kept in jail as he refused to marry victim
- Wellbeing: 2 Hours of Nature a Week
- Heavy metals result of supernova explosion
- ‘I am working in life risk to fulfill Bangabandhu’s dream’
- Two Unique Mosques in Indonesia have a breathtaking Architect
- India-Pakistan World Cup statistics!
- Australia post 334 against Sri Lanka
- Air Chief left for France
- 14 post-election murder in India’s west Bengal
- Proposed budget is business-friendly: FBCCI
- Schoolboy killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Mushfiq injured in practice
- South Africa opt to bowl against Afghanistan
- SC ends 21 days shut tomorrow
- Tk 80,190 cr proposed for children in next FY
- Trump official pressed NASA on climate science
- `Govt takes step to prevent river erosion, water logging`
- DMP collected data of 6.2m people in Dhaka
- Stay updated with knowledge, training: PM to SSF PRSNL
- 298 killed in 256 accidents during Eid
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- BSF DG terms border killings as ‘unfortunate deaths’
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Light to moderate rain likely
- 36 people dead in India`s longest heatwaves
- US Baby cut out of murdered mother’s womb dies
- 3 BNP men including Fakhrul injured as stage broke at wedding
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- England turn around in World Cup
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Class XI admission results published
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- JS budget session begins today
- BNP’s Rumeen Farhana takes oath
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament