17 killed as dragon boats capsize in China
Published: 10:18 AM, 22 April 2018
Rescuers search for missing boaters on the Taohua River
At least 17 people were killed after two dragon boats capsized in southern China on Saturday.
Citing authorities, state-run news agency Xinhua said, rowers on board the two long, narrow kayak-like boats were practising for a race in Taohua River in the city of Guilin when the accident occurred Saturday afternoon, tipping some 60 people into the water.
Around 40 people were pulled out of the water alive with rescue work ending at night. 17 people had been confirmed dead.
There were no details on whether people were still missing in the latest report. Xinhua said eight boats and over 200 people had been deployed to the rescue.
It was not immediately clear what caused the boats to capsize.
Authorities in Guilin said villagers had organised a practice session without notifying police, and that two organisers were detained.
Races are held nationwide every year to mark the dragon boat festival, which falls on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese lunar calendar, or the summer solstice.
The festival pays tribute to the ancient poet Qu Yuan who, legend has it, drowned himself in protest against being falsely accused of treason.
- Bank will be open for 2hrs from Sunday
- UNO stands by poor with food-money
- Shah Rukh returning to silver screen with Alia
- BCB announces Tk 30,000 for each non-contracted DPL players
- Finnish citizen becomes senseless falling from rickshaw in Sylhet
- Coronavirus cases in US increasing rapidly
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 5 Bangladeshis test coronavirus positive in Germany
- HSC candidate under isolation in Madaripur
- Traffic police closed over misconduct with rickshaw puller
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- Be professional: IGP to police
- Global coronavirus deaths top 28500
- Deer roaming on empty streets
- DMP to distribute food 2,500 destitute people daily
- Youth died at isolation not affected by coronavirus
- Adviser spotted running away after Boris’s coronavirus diagnosis
- NU postpones all exams
- WHO testing coronavirus drugs
- Ban on all flights extended till Apr 7
- Natore hat sees huge crowd amid coronavirus epidemic
- 24 Bangladeshis died of coronavirus globally
- Gazipur plastic factory fire doused
- IEDCR states rules of using PPE
- WASA-City Corporations disinfecting Dhaka jointly
- I’m sorry, some people will die: Brazil’s President
- Healthy Mint Lassi to ease heat
- People coming out to know what’s lockdown?
- 301 new overseas-returnees home-quarantined in Khulna
- 4 traders fined over price hiking
- All News »
- 40 more building under ‘lockdown’ in Mirpur
- Coronavirus: 147 new deaths reported in a hour, infected 3,45,289 (update list)
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 13,000
- Corona death surging to 19000
- Coronavirus: Deaths 11,402; cases 276,125 (Update List)
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Coronarvirus infection climbed to .38 million globally (update list)
- Former Real president dies from coronavirus
- WHO suggests Bangladesh to declare lockdown
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Doctor who spread rumors over corona detained
- All govt-private institutions closed until April 4
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- Corona claims two in Bangladesh; 24 infected
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- One more dies of coronavirus in Bangladesh
- 100 new ICUs being opened
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- Italy records 793 deaths in a day
- Actress` elope with director
- Shwapna Bhowmick developed 4 lakh PPE for doctors-nurses
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Coronavirus: Mirpur`s building under lockdown
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- North Korea fires two ballistic missiles
- Nationwide shops declared shut till Mar 31
- Remedy for coronavirus found!