16 worshippers killed in Burkina Faso mosque attack
Published: 12:04 PM, 13 October 2019 Updated: 12:07 PM, 13 October 2019
At least 16 people were killed and two others seriously injured as armed men stormed a mosque in the volatile north of Burkina Faso.
According to international Media, gunmen entered the Grand Mosque in the village of Salmossi on Friday evening as those inside were praying.
One source said 13 people died at the scene and three succumbed to their injuries later. Two of the wounded are in critical condition.
The attack forced many locals to flee the village which is close to the Malian border.
One resident from the nearby town of Gorom-Gorom told AFP news agency: "Since this morning, people have started to flee the area." He added that there was a "climate of panic despite military reinforcements" put in place following the attack.
No group has admitted carrying out the attack. However, hundreds of people have been killed in the country over the past few years, mostly by militant groups. Militant group attacks have increased in Burkina Faso since 2015, forcing thousands of schools to close down.
The conflict spread across the border from neighbouring Mali where Islamist militants took over the north of the country in 2012 before French troops pushed them out.
The UN Refugee agency says more than a quarter of a million people in Burkina Faso have been forced to flee their homes over the past three months.
Last week, 20 people were killed in an attack on a gold-mining site in the north.
On Saturday, about 1,000 people protested in the capital Ouagadougou to denounce violence in their country and the presence of foreign military forces in the region.
- SpaceX delivers `mighty mice,` worms, robot to space station
- BBPL inaugurated with huge enthusiasm and fanfare
- Unidentified child killed in Capital train-crash
- Remove Mithila, Fahmi’s personal photos from online platforms: HC
- 431 IU ‘B’ unit seats remain vacant
- Dengue rules Lakmal out of Pakistan Tests
- BJSC-BUP Sangsad Pres Soumik, GS Kona
- Iran says new budget bucks US oil embargo, uses Russian loan
- Cleansing operation must succeed
- Bangladesh create history securing 14 golds
- 2 killed in Jhenaidah
- Application for admission begins in SAU
- Bangladesh out of title race
- NBR Chairman hopes for 20pc revenue growth
- ‘E-TIN holders to be forced for return submission’
- Ten cattle stolen in one night
- Mahmudullah doubtful in BBPL opener
- BPL inaugural ceremony kicks off
- WI opt to bowl against India
- PM distributes National Film Awards
- Motorcyclist killed in Dinajpur road crash
- Drug dealer detained in Gazipur
- 40 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- Nantie Hayward named as Sylhet Thunder’s bowling coach
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Bangladesh U-23 team lost to Sri Lanka
- 20 killed in Syria air strikes
- Export trade closed for 6 hours at Benapole
- Lemon-tamarind pomfret fish fry
- Light to moderate fog likely
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Salman Khan sunken in Afghan beauty
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Remittance inflow increases by 31.75pc in November