1.6 crore Italians in quarantine
Published: 12:05 PM, 9 March 2020 Updated: 05:55 PM, 9 March 2020
Police passing busy time
The government of Italy has placed up to 16,000,000 (16 million) people under quarantine as the European country battles to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Anyone living in Lombardy and 14 other central and northern provinces will need special permission to travel. Milan and Venice are both affected.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte also announced the closure of schools, gyms, museums, nightclubs and other venues across the whole country. The measures, the most radical taken outside China, will last until 3 April.
Italy has seen the largest number of coronavirus infections in Europe, with the number of confirmed cases jumping by more than 1,200 to 5,883 on Saturday.
Among the latest people to test positive is the army's chief of staff. Salvatore Farina said he felt well and was self-isolating.
The strict new quarantine measures affect a quarter of the Italian population and centre on the rich northern part of the country that powers its economy.
The death toll in Italy has passed 230, with officials reporting more than 36 deaths in 24 hours.
The health system is under immense strain in Lombardy, a northern region of 10 million people, where people are being treated in hospital corridors.
"We want to guarantee the health of our citizens. We understand that these measures will impose sacrifices, sometimes small and sometimes very big," Prime Minister Conte said as he announced the measures in the middle of the night.
Under the new measures, people are not supposed to be able to enter or leave Lombardy, where Milan is the main city.
The same restrictions apply to 14 provinces: Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro and Urbino, Alessandria, Asti, Novara, Verbano Cusio Ossola, Vercelli, Padua, Treviso and Venice.
- Coronavirus cases surpass 6 million
- 10 killed as minibus hits roadside bomb in Somalia
- Elderly woman dies of COVID-19 in Chattogram
- Girls ahead in GPA-5, boys in pass rate
- La Liga clubs to resume full training from Monday
- 8 launches fined for taking extra passengers
- Poverty couldn`t stop Asmani
- Two more labs to detect coronavirus in Capital
- Girl commits suicide after failing in SSC exam
- 19 militants killed in military drive in Egypt
- Another 167 UK nationals leave Sylhet
- Lalmonirhat reports nine new coronavirus cases
- BNP does not think of toiling masses: Hasan Mahmud
- Amirul who took part SSC exam after burying father got GPA-5
- BFDC ready for shooting
- Malaysia’s labour market may open in Jul, BD ready
- Gunmen kill 20 in Burkina Faso
- Peru reports more than 7,000 COVID-19 cases in a day
- ‘Alor Guerrilla’ running day and night
- Coronavirus cases exceed 400,000 in Russia
- Shujeo Shyam contracts COVID-19
- Govt provides relief assistance to more than 6 crore people
- Train runs maintaining health rules: Sujan
- Noakhali reports 90 coronavirus cases in a day
- BNP leaders passing leisure time
- 5 more test positive for COVID-19 in Trishal
- 25 US cities impose curfews as protests continue
- Locust attack in India ‘a result of sin’: Zaira Wasim
- Woman dies with fever and breathing difficulties in Rajshahi
- World No Tobacco Day 2020 being observed aims to protect youth from tobacco
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Offices resume from May 31
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Country sees highest deaths in a day
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated tomorrow
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle