15 migrants die in Mediterranean on way to Europe illegally
Published: 12:31 PM, 12 October 2021
15 migrants have died in the Mediterranean while trying to cross Europe illegally from Libya. Another 177 migrants were rescued alive in the incident.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) says two Coast Guard boats have rescued survivors as well as dead migrants on their way back to Libya.
In a report on Tuesday, Reuters reported that the deaths were thought to have been caused by a boat carrying migrants “damaged” while crossing the Mediterranean illegally. However, the agency did not say anything about it.
Recently, migrants from Libya, Tunisia and other areas have been flocking to various parts of Europe, including Italy. Immigrants try to cross the Mediterranean dangerously in small boats to reach Europe illegally.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says in a new report in mid-July that the number of migrants and refugees drowning in the first 6-months of this year has “almost doubled” compared to last year while trying to cross dangerous sea routes to Europe.
The IOM said at least 1,146 people had died between January and June this year. The number of people trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe has increased by 58 percent.