15 killed in election violence
Published: 06:45 PM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 07:18 PM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
At least fifteen people, mostly Awami League member were killed in election-related violence over the country on Sunday.
Among the victims, eight were said to be the leaders and activists of the ruling Awami League while another one was the leader of Jatiyatabadi Jubo Dal.
In Noakhali, Nurun Nabi, an Ansar member, was shot dead by some miscreants at Tulachara Primary School polling station of Noakhali-3 constituency, said presiding officer Prof Dr Suchon Chowdhury.
In Chattogram, Ahmed Kabir, 45, an activist of Jatiya Party, was killed in a clash between Awami League and Jatiya Party activists in Banskhali upazila early in the morning.
In Rangamati, Bashir Uddin, general secretary of Kashkhali union Jubo League unit, was killed in an attack allegedly by some BNP activists at Kashkhali union in Kaukhali upazila in the morning.
In Cumilla, Bachchu Mia, 35, a resident of Sundial village in Nangalkot upazila, was killed in a clash between the supporters of AL and BNP in the morning, said district police special branch sub-inspector Mahbub Morshed.
Besides, a rickshaw-puller, Muzibur Rahman, 35, son of Sujat Ali of Muradnagar village of the upazila, was killed in a clash between ruling Awami League and BNP men at Paschim Belashwar village in Chandian upazila.
In Rajshahi, Merajul Islam, 30, son of late Abdus Sattar and an Awami League supporter, was killed in a clash between BNP and AL men in Pakuria Government High School centre in Jahanabad union of Mohanpur upazila around 11am over capturing a polling centre of Rajshahi-3 constituency, said Rajshahi district police superintendent Shahidullah.
Besides, Modasser Ali, 40, organising secretary of Awami League No-8 ward in Panchandar union of Tanore upazila, was killed in a clash between BNP and Awami League men over capturing Mohammadpur High School polling station of Rajshahi-1 constituency, said officer-in-charge Rezaul Islam of Tanore Police Station.
In Tangail, police recovered the body of BNP ward unit president Abdul Aziz, 65, who remained missing since Saturday from Nagda Shimla area in Gopalpur upazila.
In Natore, Hussain Ali, an Awami League supporter, was stabbed to death by his nephew Ratan Fakir following an altercation over casting vote at Samskholsi village in Naldanga upazila.
In Narsingdi, Milon Miah, 35, an Awami League polling agent, was hacked and slaughtered allegedly by supporters of opposition (independent) candidate at Kundarpara Primary School centre of Shibpur of Narsingdi-3 constituency around 12:30 am, said Abul Kalam Azad, officer-in-charge of Shibpur Police Station.
In Bogura, Awami League activist Azizul Islam, 30, was killed and five others were injured in a clash between AL and BNP activists at Bagil polling station in Kahalu upazila around 11:3am over capturing polling station, said Paikor Union Parishad Chairman Mitu Chowdhury.
In Brahmanbaria, Israil, 19, son of Sayedul Islam of Rajghar village in Sadar upazila, was shot dead and three others suffered bullet wounds 'in police firing' during a clash between supporters of AL and BNP at Rajghar Government Primary School polling centre of Brahmanbaria-3 constituency.
In Cox's Bazar, Abdullah Al Faruque, 25, son of Abul Kalam of Rajakhali union in Pekua upazila, was killed in a clash between BNP and AL men in Rajakhali Government Primary School polling station of Cox's Bazar-1 constituency around 10am, said Tanzir Hossain, officer-in-charge Pekua Police Station.
In Gazipur, Liakat Hossain, an Awami League leader and former Vice-President of Kazi Azimuddin College Sangsad, was stabbed to death at Harinal in the city.
Quoting Liakat's brother Ershad Hossain, Samir Sutra Dhar, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station, said the local activists of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal and Jubo Dal stabbed Liakat indiscriminately at a polling centre around 2:30 pm, leaving him critically injured.
Later, he was taken to Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmad Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
In Sylhet, a local JCD leader was shot to death during a clash over occupying Azizpur Government Primary School polling centre in Balaganj upazila.
The deceased was identified as Sayem Ahmed Sohel, general secretary of upazila unit JCD.
Quoting witnesses, Mahbubul Alam, sub-inspector of Balaganj Police Station, said a group of people swooped on the polling centre around 3:50pm and tried to occupy it.
As the rival party obstructed them, a clash ensued.
At one stage, Sohel sustained bullet injuries and died on the spot.
- Edu Minister criticized teachers for ‘Coaching’
- NZ PM received death threats
- Argentina to train up Bangladeshi footballers
- ‘Shark plane’ in Bangladesh
- Orchita Sporshia in Makkah to perform Umrah
- Will take charge of Ducsu: VP Noor
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Balaka bus hit Menon’s car
- Emilia Clarke reveals she suffered two near-fatal brain aneurysms
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Bagerhat
- 2 powerful cyclones bear down on North Australian coast
- Commercial banana farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
- Unidentifind woman killed in Narsingdi road crash
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Risk of facing loss due to mites attack
- RAB’s anti-narcotics drive in capital’s Geneva Camp
- World Water Day today
- Mass funeral held to bury 26 slain in N. Zealand
- Rain likely untill tomorrow morning
- Six killed as car hits crowd in China
- Five killed as bus hits auto-rickshaw in Barishal
- Nearly 100 dead as ferry sinks in Iraq`s Tigris river
- New Zealand falls silent for mosque victims
- Pakistan to face Australia today in 1st ODI
- China chemical blast death toll rises to 44
- 1350 meters of Padma Bridge visible now
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police