15 killed in election violence
Published: 06:45 PM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 07:18 PM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
At least fifteen people, mostly Awami League member were killed in election-related violence over the country on Sunday.
Among the victims, eight were said to be the leaders and activists of the ruling Awami League while another one was the leader of Jatiyatabadi Jubo Dal.
In Noakhali, Nurun Nabi, an Ansar member, was shot dead by some miscreants at Tulachara Primary School polling station of Noakhali-3 constituency, said presiding officer Prof Dr Suchon Chowdhury.
In Chattogram, Ahmed Kabir, 45, an activist of Jatiya Party, was killed in a clash between Awami League and Jatiya Party activists in Banskhali upazila early in the morning.
In Rangamati, Bashir Uddin, general secretary of Kashkhali union Jubo League unit, was killed in an attack allegedly by some BNP activists at Kashkhali union in Kaukhali upazila in the morning.
In Cumilla, Bachchu Mia, 35, a resident of Sundial village in Nangalkot upazila, was killed in a clash between the supporters of AL and BNP in the morning, said district police special branch sub-inspector Mahbub Morshed.
Besides, a rickshaw-puller, Muzibur Rahman, 35, son of Sujat Ali of Muradnagar village of the upazila, was killed in a clash between ruling Awami League and BNP men at Paschim Belashwar village in Chandian upazila.
In Rajshahi, Merajul Islam, 30, son of late Abdus Sattar and an Awami League supporter, was killed in a clash between BNP and AL men in Pakuria Government High School centre in Jahanabad union of Mohanpur upazila around 11am over capturing a polling centre of Rajshahi-3 constituency, said Rajshahi district police superintendent Shahidullah.
Besides, Modasser Ali, 40, organising secretary of Awami League No-8 ward in Panchandar union of Tanore upazila, was killed in a clash between BNP and Awami League men over capturing Mohammadpur High School polling station of Rajshahi-1 constituency, said officer-in-charge Rezaul Islam of Tanore Police Station.
In Tangail, police recovered the body of BNP ward unit president Abdul Aziz, 65, who remained missing since Saturday from Nagda Shimla area in Gopalpur upazila.
In Natore, Hussain Ali, an Awami League supporter, was stabbed to death by his nephew Ratan Fakir following an altercation over casting vote at Samskholsi village in Naldanga upazila.
In Narsingdi, Milon Miah, 35, an Awami League polling agent, was hacked and slaughtered allegedly by supporters of opposition (independent) candidate at Kundarpara Primary School centre of Shibpur of Narsingdi-3 constituency around 12:30 am, said Abul Kalam Azad, officer-in-charge of Shibpur Police Station.
In Bogura, Awami League activist Azizul Islam, 30, was killed and five others were injured in a clash between AL and BNP activists at Bagil polling station in Kahalu upazila around 11:3am over capturing polling station, said Paikor Union Parishad Chairman Mitu Chowdhury.
In Brahmanbaria, Israil, 19, son of Sayedul Islam of Rajghar village in Sadar upazila, was shot dead and three others suffered bullet wounds 'in police firing' during a clash between supporters of AL and BNP at Rajghar Government Primary School polling centre of Brahmanbaria-3 constituency.
In Cox's Bazar, Abdullah Al Faruque, 25, son of Abul Kalam of Rajakhali union in Pekua upazila, was killed in a clash between BNP and AL men in Rajakhali Government Primary School polling station of Cox's Bazar-1 constituency around 10am, said Tanzir Hossain, officer-in-charge Pekua Police Station.
In Gazipur, Liakat Hossain, an Awami League leader and former Vice-President of Kazi Azimuddin College Sangsad, was stabbed to death at Harinal in the city.
Quoting Liakat's brother Ershad Hossain, Samir Sutra Dhar, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station, said the local activists of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal and Jubo Dal stabbed Liakat indiscriminately at a polling centre around 2:30 pm, leaving him critically injured.
Later, he was taken to Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmad Medical College Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
In Sylhet, a local JCD leader was shot to death during a clash over occupying Azizpur Government Primary School polling centre in Balaganj upazila.
The deceased was identified as Sayem Ahmed Sohel, general secretary of upazila unit JCD.
Quoting witnesses, Mahbubul Alam, sub-inspector of Balaganj Police Station, said a group of people swooped on the polling centre around 3:50pm and tried to occupy it.
As the rival party obstructed them, a clash ensued.
At one stage, Sohel sustained bullet injuries and died on the spot.
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- No resign letter received so far: Law minister
- Shaheen dismisses Latham, NZ 4 down
- Dialogs with US impossible: Iran
- SAU to observe Bangabandhu’s Birth Centenary
- Shaheen strikes again to remove Taylor
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today