Boat capsizes in Mediterranean
15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
Published: 12:57 PM, 21 May 2019 Updated: 01:44 PM, 21 May 2019
15 Bangladeshi nationals, who were rescued after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Tunisian Coast on the way to Italy from Libya, returned home on Tuesday.
TK-712, a flight of Turkish Airlines, carrying the survivors landed at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka around 5:50 am.
The Expatriates’ Welfare Desk of the airport confirmed the information.
Tariq Ahmed-As Sadik, Assistant Superintendent of Police (media) of Armed Police Battalion (APBN) at the airport, said that International Organization for Migration (IOM) and Red Crescent assisted them to return home.
Sub-Inspector of Expatriates’ Welfare Desk at the airport, Ataur Rahman said law enforces officials talked to returnee migrant aspirants.
A senior official of APBN said that relatives of the survivor migrants crowded at the airport to receive them.
According to Bangladesh embassy to Tripoli, around 60 migrants, most of whom from Bangladesh, died after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean off the coast of Tunisia On May 9.
The survivors, at least 16 of whom were rescued, said that the boat on board only men, including 51 Bangladeshis, three Egyptians, several Moroccans, Chadians and other Africans capsized 40 miles off the coast of Sfax, south of Tunis, as it headed towards Italy from Zuwara in Libya.
A Tunisian fishing boat rescued 16 people and transferred them to a Tunisian coastguard vessel. 14 Bangladeshis, including a minor, were among the survivors.
International Organization for Migration called it the deadliest migrant boat sinking since January.
On May 14, Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) confirmed the identities of 27 Bangladesh nationals who died after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea.
- No harmful contents in pasteurized milk brands, BSTI to HC
- JP-led govt will be formed in future: GM Quader
- Army Chief to visit United Nations Peacekeeping Mission
- Dementia risk tied to common drugs
- Momen sought Beijing’s support to convince Myanmar
- Action against govt officials if drug addict: HM
- FR Tower: ACC’s case accusing Ex-RAJUK chair among 25
- PM’s good news for Tigers
- Brian Lara hospitalized after chest pain
- Who responsible for collapsed bridges?
- Exemption with financial benefit by SI
- All pasteurised milk including Pran-Milk Vita-Arong adulterated
- Holey Artisan attack case: Five more policemen testify
- England wins toss, bowl first
- ECNEC clears 10 projects
- PM orders to quick repair of shaky bridges
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Owners of 31 brick kilns sued
- Writ files to correct mistakes on English 2nd paper
- Suman in HC seeking ban on unnecessary C-section
- Six Killed as bus falls into ditch in India
- Heat wave may abate some places
- JSS activist shot dead in Bandarban
- Elderly man dies as 90kg man falls on him
- US hits Iran’s supreme leader Khamenei with sanctions
- Australia-England high voltage match today
- 3 human traffickers killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Probe report submission deferred again
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties