14 foreign nationals held in city
Published: 08:30 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 08:34 PM, 29 November 2018
Members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) in an overnight drive arrested 14 foreign nationals and members of 'international online fraudulence syndicate' from Khilkhet and Bashundhara areas in the city.
Sources at Rab headquarters said a team of Rab-1 conducted separate drives and arrested the foreign nationals, including Nigerian, Cameron, Ugandan, Congo, Liberian and Tanzanian on charges of fraudulence through different social networking sites including Facebook.
While briefing reporters at the elite force's Karwan Bazar media center on Thursday, Commanding Officer (CO) of Rab-1 Md Sarwar Bin Kashem said once upon a time, a few section of foreign nationals were involved in cheating people entering in the country in the name of football players and also businessman.
"Later, they started cheating people and sometimes they involved local people to commit the crime," he said.
Being tipped-off, the Rab-1 conducted raids in Khilkhet and Basundhara areas and arrested the 14 foreigners.
The law enforcers also recovered 29 mobiles, two laptops and Tk 1.85 lakh in cash from their possessions.
Members of the gangsters entered in the country with the help of one Ugandan national known as 'Mark' and started cheating people through fake Facebook ID introducing them as representatives of renowned companies.
- U-19 World Cup: Aus faces WI today
- PM mourns death of MP Mannan
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- Youth crushed under train at Pubail
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cricket Australia CEO to be in BPL final
- Turkey begins to deploy troops in Libya
- Iran strikes were ‘slap on face’ for US: Khamenei in Zummah
- 1 killed in Mirsharai road crash
- Fan waits 5 nights for Pooja Hegde!
- Garlic and Aloe Vera can cure dandruff forever
- Spicy chicken cauliflower roast
- Another one dies from mystery virus in China
- All News »
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Oman Sultan Qaboos dies at 79
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Teachers-guardians’ help for cheat in exam shameful: President
- Heitham Bin Tariq sworn in as Oman’s new Sultan
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- Khulna Tigers opt to bowl to ensure top in BPL
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- 11 killed in US storm-flood