13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
Published: 07:20 PM, 1 April 2020
A 13-year-old boy, who tested positive for coronavirus, has died in London. The boy named Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab is believed to be the United Kingdom's youngest coronavirus victim.
"Ismail was only 13 years old without any pre-existing health conditions and sadly he died without any family members close by due to the highly infectious nature of COVID 19," the family said in a statement on Tuesday.
"Ismail started showing symptoms and had difficulties breathing and was admitted to King's College Hospital [in London].
"He was put on a ventilator and then put into an induced coma but sadly died yesterday morning. To our knowledge, he had no underlying health conditions. We are beyond devastated."
By Wednesday morning, a GoFundMe page set up to help the family pay for the child's "janazah", or Muslim funeral, had raised more than 51,000 pounds (about $63,000), with 2,700 people donating - well over the goal of 4,000 pounds (about $4,944).
Any extra funds would be given to the family, said a family friend, who set up the page.
"Sadly, a 13-year-old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time," King's College Hospital said in a statement.
"The death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made."
While the new coronavirus mostly affects older people and people with underlying health conditions, a minority of victims have been younger, including children.
La Repubblica, an Italian daily, reported that Luca Di Nicola, an Italian 19-year-old assistant chef, died in a London hospital on March 24.
Di Nicola's father told the newspaper that the teenager had no underlying health conditions.
- Father-in-law & mother-in-law injured in son-in-law`s attack
- China to lift ban on foreign flights
- Facebook launches Manage Activity for deleting old posts
- Bangladesh Bank allows employees to work from home
- 7 things must be followed for safe journey
- Another 47 tested positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- 18 more infected with COVID-19 in Jamalpur
- 132 more tested coronavirus positive in Chattogram
- Sylhet reports 60 more coronavirus cases
- Global coronavirus death toll surpasses 393,000
- Fire at Gazi Bhaban in the capital doused
- Govt is working hard to keep people safe: PM
- Arctic oil spill prompts Russia`s Putin to declare emergency
- Multi-storey building at Lalbagh catches fire
- Killing of pregnant elephant triggered mass outrage in India
- Transport leaders, workers agreed to stop extortion
- Pakistan’s furious warning to arch-rival India
- Teen-girl Adury changed to male naturally
- Interpol’s help will be sought to nab fugitives in abroad
- Grameenphone CEO meets BSEC Chairman
- Shoaib Akhtar accused of cybercrime
- Section 144 imposed in Sangsad Bhaban area
- 60 more contract COVID-19 in Gazipur
- Lightning kills 7 in 5 districts
- 6.5 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia
- A physician and two more die of COVID-19 in Chattogram
- Law Minister not infected by COVID-19: ministry
- Government staff getting treatment of COVID-19 at SKH
- Farin writing stories in lockdown time
- Maradona extends contract with Gimnasia
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- BRTA recommends to hike 80pc bus fare