79 kidnapped Cameroon students freed
Published: 03:57 PM, 7 November 2018 Updated: 03:57 PM, 7 November 2018
The 79 school children kidnapped by unidentified gunmen from a school in Cameroon have been released, but two of the three staff members abducted are still being held, said a church official.
"They were brought last night to one of our churches ... near Bamenda (the regional capital). They look tired and psychologically tortured," said the moderator of the country's Presbyterian Church, Fonki Samuel Forba. The students are between 11 and 17 years old.
He pleaded with the kidnappers to "free the staff still in their keeping."
The church leader said he had asked parents and guardians to take home all their children.
"It is unfortunate we have to close the school and send home 700 children," he said. "Their security is not assured by the state and armed groups constantly attack and kidnap them."
He said the school previously had some students kidnapped which was resolved when the church paid a ransom of 2.5 million francs (about $4,000 dollars) to the armed gang. "We can no longer continue," he said.
Cameroon's northwest and southwest areas are beset by instability caused by English-speaking separatists. Fighting between the military and separatists increased after the government clamped down on peaceful demonstrations by English-speaking teachers and lawyers protesting what they said was their marginalization by Cameroon's French-speaking majority.
Hundreds have been killed in the past year and the separatists have vowed to destabilize the regions as part of the strategy for creating a breakaway state, which they say will be called Ambazonia. They have attacked civilians who do not support their cause, including teachers who were killed for disobeying orders to keep schools closed.
There have been kidnappings at other schools, but the group taken Sunday was the largest number abducted at one time in Cameroon's Anglophone regions. The separatists also have set fire to at least 100 schools and driven out students and teachers from buildings taken over as training grounds.
The North West region governor Deben Tchoffo said this week that the government is providing adequate security for schools.
"I must insist that we have taken enough measures to protect schools, but we also need the assistance of all," said Tchoffo. "People should inform the military whenever they see strange faces in their villages."
Tah Pascal, father of one of the kidnapped students, said he does not trust what the governor has said.
"How can he always talk of protection and security when our schools are torched every day, our children tortured and their teachers killed," said Pascal. "This is done in spite of the presence of the military."
Parents interviewed said they were relocating their children to safer areas.
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Risk of facing loss due to mites attack
- RAB’s anti-narcotics drive in capital’s Geneva Camp
- World Water Day today
- Mass funeral held to bury 26 slain in N. Zealand
- Rain likely untill tomorrow morning
- Six killed as car hits crowd in China
- Five killed as bus hits auto-rickshaw in Barishal
- Nearly 100 dead as ferry sinks in Iraq`s Tigris river
- New Zealand falls silent for mosque victims
- Pakistan to face Australia today in 1st ODI
- China chemical blast death toll rises to 44
- 1350 meters of Padma Bridge visible now
- Two drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Ferry sinks in Tigris killing 71
- Hajj reg deadline ext till March 28
- Shamim gets 1yr ext as Minister (Press)
- icddr,b’s Rohingya response shared with partners
- AL, CPC ink MoU on boosting coop
- Comm formed to probe Ducsu polls irregularities
- Singer Putul got married
- Bangladesh to play Bahrain on Friday
- Authorities failed to ensure traffic discipline: Asaduzzaman Mia
- Quader is improving, to be moved to cabin next week: Physician
- Lalan Festival to end Friday
- 3 students among 6 killed in road crashes
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police