12th death anniversary of Rana today
Published: 12:25 PM, 16 March 2019
Manjural Islam Rana
The 12th death anniversary of the emerging star of the Bangladesh cricket Manjural Islam Rana is on Saturday.
Rana was only 22 when he died in a road accident in Batiaghata Upazila of Khulna on March 16, 2007. 26-year-old Khulna divisional captain Sajjadul Hassan Shetu was also killed in the accident.
Rana, who was born on May 4 in 1984 at Mujgunni under Khalishpur police station of Khulna city, made his test debut in the Bangladesh squad on 19 February 2004 against Zimbabwe.
He made his ODI debut on November 7, 2003, as he got the opportunity to join the national team because of Mohammad Rafique’s injury.
Gradually, Rana became a perfect all-rounder for Bangladesh. A left-handed middle order batsman and also a left-arm spinner, Rana went on to play six Tests and 25 ODIs that included a brace of man-of-the-match winning performances against Zimbabwe in 2005. He had one half-century and two four-wicket hauls in his short career.
In the year of 2007, just before the first match of the World Cup, Bangladeshi cricketers were in a spiritual mood. Suddenly there was a phone call in the former captain of Bangladesh Cricket Team, Habibul Bashar Sumon heard the death news of Rana.
Moments of black cloud came in the Tigers camp. The whole dressing room was mourned and cried after hearing the death news of Rana.
It was difficult for Bangladesh to handle such a shock on the day before the start of the World Cup. Yet the Tigers turned the grief into strength and win by five wickets against India in the first round in Port of Spain.
While Rana never played the World Cup, however, he is the part of Bangladesh’s World Cup history. He died in a road accident before the first match of Bangladesh against India in the 2007 World Cup. After beating India in that match, Bangladesh dedicated their victory for Rana.
Meanwhile, Shetu did not play in the national team. But this right-handed batsman was the most popular name in domestic cricket. He scored three centuries and 12 half-centuries with 2,443 runs. He has scored 680 runs in 39 lists ‘A’ matches with two centuries and two half-centuries.
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- ‘Amar Pita Sheikh Mujib’ festival to be inaugurated tomorrow
- Mueller report: Subpoena issued for unredacted version
- Mirsarai Economic Zone to witness factory operation in July
- Sonagazi AL leader Ruhul held over Nusrat murder
- Team management backs Soumya to regain form in WC
- Three JU students hurt in road crash on campus
- We achieved countrymen`s faith: PM
- Taskin shines after missing out WC selection
- Hasina calls for strengthening Awami League at grassroots
- Two children drown in Noakhali
- Man killed in Jamalpur road crash
- Abahani keep them in the hunt of DPL title
- AL secretariat meeting on Saturday
- 6,746 vacant posts in ministries: Farhad
- Amir misses out on Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- PML-N blamed Imran over Minister`s step down
- Man committed suicide anguished by wife
- Namaz-e-janaza of director Mizan completed in FDC
- India polls `19: Mukesh Ambani Backs Congress
- Dad saved toddler from dingo attack in Australia
- PM receives treatment at Tk 10
- UK Journo shot dead in Derry riot
- 13 killed as church roof collapses in South Africa
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- America’s 1st female astronaut candidate dies
- Secondary admission rate low yet: UNFPA
- Cox’s Bazar forests in extinction threat
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Nusrat murder: 2 including Moksud arrested
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- 8 killed as bus falls into Joypurhat ditch
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Messi coming to Dhaka
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother