12th death anniversary of Rana today
Published: 12:25 PM, 16 March 2019
Manjural Islam Rana
The 12th death anniversary of the emerging star of the Bangladesh cricket Manjural Islam Rana is on Saturday.
Rana was only 22 when he died in a road accident in Batiaghata Upazila of Khulna on March 16, 2007. 26-year-old Khulna divisional captain Sajjadul Hassan Shetu was also killed in the accident.
Rana, who was born on May 4 in 1984 at Mujgunni under Khalishpur police station of Khulna city, made his test debut in the Bangladesh squad on 19 February 2004 against Zimbabwe.
He made his ODI debut on November 7, 2003, as he got the opportunity to join the national team because of Mohammad Rafique’s injury.
Gradually, Rana became a perfect all-rounder for Bangladesh. A left-handed middle order batsman and also a left-arm spinner, Rana went on to play six Tests and 25 ODIs that included a brace of man-of-the-match winning performances against Zimbabwe in 2005. He had one half-century and two four-wicket hauls in his short career.
In the year of 2007, just before the first match of the World Cup, Bangladeshi cricketers were in a spiritual mood. Suddenly there was a phone call in the former captain of Bangladesh Cricket Team, Habibul Bashar Sumon heard the death news of Rana.
Moments of black cloud came in the Tigers camp. The whole dressing room was mourned and cried after hearing the death news of Rana.
It was difficult for Bangladesh to handle such a shock on the day before the start of the World Cup. Yet the Tigers turned the grief into strength and win by five wickets against India in the first round in Port of Spain.
While Rana never played the World Cup, however, he is the part of Bangladesh’s World Cup history. He died in a road accident before the first match of Bangladesh against India in the 2007 World Cup. After beating India in that match, Bangladesh dedicated their victory for Rana.
Meanwhile, Shetu did not play in the national team. But this right-handed batsman was the most popular name in domestic cricket. He scored three centuries and 12 half-centuries with 2,443 runs. He has scored 680 runs in 39 lists ‘A’ matches with two centuries and two half-centuries.
- Housewife`s body recovered from Chikli River
- Reckless Green Line takes woman`s life
- Bangladesh wins 3 bronze in International Biology Olympiad
- AL will compete in Ershad’s seat
- DU students to stage demo tomorrow
- Govt appoints 70 DAGs
- Ferries not to carry truck during Eid
- Two bodies recovered in Pabna
- Muri Paddy makes farmer happy
- Hajj 2019: Multi-Storey tents in Mina for first time ever!
- Aush-Amon flooded in Moulvibazar
- Emotional Patrick Stewart unveils new Star Trek
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- Law minister doesn’t consider Priya’s statement as seditious offence
- BJP politician downs Darwin’s theory of evolution
- No action to be taken hastily against Priya Saha: Quader
- 7 including 4 cops killed in dual blast in Pakistan
- WhatsApp: Security & privacy
- Tractor rams motorcyclist in Dinajpur
- Fire at Banani multi-storey building again
- Eating burger links chronic diseases!
- Hammerhead shark found first-ever
- Court denies bail for Minni
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- HM Ershad passes away
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- How to get HSC result
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- PM urges DCs to be sincere for accelerated development
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc