113 inmates escape from Indonesian prison during prayer time
Published: 01:25 PM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 01:25 PM, 30 November 2018
More than 100 inmates escaped from a prison in western Indonesia after overpowering a guard during prayer time, police said Friday.
The break occurred late Thursday at the Lambaro penitentiary when all 720 inmates were let out of their cells to take part in evening prayers, said Trisno Riyanto, police chief in Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province.
He said that the inmates, who were mostly convicted of drug charges and apparently had planned their escape in advance, cut through the wire and iron bars using barbells and crowbars in the reception room and made a dash through rice fields in front of the prison.
The guard's injuries were not serious, police said.
At least 26 prisoners have been recaptured and police set up roadblocks across Banda Aceh to search for the others.
Aceh provincial police chief Rio Septianda Djambak called on the escaped prisoners to surrender within three days and urged their relatives to support authorities in bringing them back.
"We will not hesitate to take firm action to force them to obey the law," Djambak said.
Jailbreaks are common in Indonesia, where overcrowding has become a problem in prisons that are struggling to cope with poor funding and an influx of people arrested in a war on drugs. Most prisoners have been convicted of drug charges.
Last year, more than 440 prisoners escaped from a penitentiary in neighboring Riau province when they also took advantage of Friday Muslim prayers. In July 2013, about 240 prisoners, including several convicted terrorists, escaped during a deadly riot at a prison in Medan, the capital of North Sumatra province.
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Duas for thanking Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala
- Green coconut: a little relief in heat-web
- Plastic product manufacturers for VAT withdrawal
- 6.46 lakh people live in Dhaka slums: Minister in JS
- Kuldeep’s double strike derails Pakistan’s chase
- India posted 336 against Pakistan
- `JP will loud for rights`
- India assures of cooperation to resolve rohingya crisis and Teesta deal
- Countrywide Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign June 22
- JS sitting adjourned till 3 pm tomorrow
- Areas where gas supply shut on Monday
- 136 official promoted as Joint Secretary
- FSA chair exempted from contempt charge
- `Swajan` service to prisoners
- SC cancels Hallmark chairman’s bail
- Over 40% of newly elected Indian lawmakers facing charges
- Huge crowds march call for city leader to step down
- Have you ever said to father? `Love you`
- Heatwave kills 40 in Bihar in a day
- Journos’ 9th wage-board declaration soon
- Temperature may rise by (1-2)° C
- Pakistan bowl against arch-rivals India
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Momen urges to expedite Teesta deal
- Jail prisoners get high-quality food in breakfast
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight with BGB
- Driver-helper killed as truck overturns
- Saudi Arabia blames Iran for tanker attacks
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- JS budget session begins today
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- England wins beating Windies
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’