113 inmates escape from Indonesian prison during prayer time
Published: 01:25 PM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 01:25 PM, 30 November 2018
More than 100 inmates escaped from a prison in western Indonesia after overpowering a guard during prayer time, police said Friday.
The break occurred late Thursday at the Lambaro penitentiary when all 720 inmates were let out of their cells to take part in evening prayers, said Trisno Riyanto, police chief in Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province.
He said that the inmates, who were mostly convicted of drug charges and apparently had planned their escape in advance, cut through the wire and iron bars using barbells and crowbars in the reception room and made a dash through rice fields in front of the prison.
The guard's injuries were not serious, police said.
At least 26 prisoners have been recaptured and police set up roadblocks across Banda Aceh to search for the others.
Aceh provincial police chief Rio Septianda Djambak called on the escaped prisoners to surrender within three days and urged their relatives to support authorities in bringing them back.
"We will not hesitate to take firm action to force them to obey the law," Djambak said.
Jailbreaks are common in Indonesia, where overcrowding has become a problem in prisons that are struggling to cope with poor funding and an influx of people arrested in a war on drugs. Most prisoners have been convicted of drug charges.
Last year, more than 440 prisoners escaped from a penitentiary in neighboring Riau province when they also took advantage of Friday Muslim prayers. In July 2013, about 240 prisoners, including several convicted terrorists, escaped during a deadly riot at a prison in Medan, the capital of North Sumatra province.
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- Trump demands Europe take in 800 ISIS fighters
- Pulse cultivation gaining popularity among Manikganj farmers
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’