11 Saudi princes detained to protest over utility bills
Published: 12:34 PM, 7 January 2018 Updated: 12:37 PM, 7 January 2018
11 Saudi princes have been arrested in Saudi Arabia for protesting the increase in service bills of citizens. They were detained from the capital city of Riyadh.
This news was published in local media on Saturday. However, the Saudi authorities have not given any comments yet.
Saudi Arabia has been trying its economic reform for a long time, the world`s biggest oil-lifting company. For this, they decided to increase the services bills. The country has decided to introduce VAT with all products.
In Saudi Arabia`s media, Subq.org said that the princes started protesting in front of the Kasar-i-Hukam due to increasing the service bills. They demanded to cancel the increase in service bills issued by the authorities. At the same time, they demanded the cancellation of their death sentence on one of their relatives.
News website Sabq earlier identified the leader of the group of princes by the initials S.A.S. The Saud al-Kabeer branch of the House of Saud descend from a cousin of late King Abdulaziz, who established the modern kingdom.
The dozens of royal family members, current, and former senior officials were rounded up in November last year to crack down on corruption that has also strengthened the power of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
They have been held at the five-star Ritz-Carlton hotel in Riyadh while government officials negotiate financial settlements and asked them to hand over assets and cash in return for their freedom.
The round-up followed a meticulously planned palace coup in June through which Prince Mohammed ousted his elder cousin Prince Mohammed bin Nayef as heir to the throne.
- NASA sends Bangla message to aliens
- Car ploughs through footpath, 14 injured
- 2 killed as truck hit motorcycle in Chapainawabganj
- Many places may experience drizzle
- 96 new coronavirus deaths reported in China
- Spinach dilutes blood
- Human trafficker killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Coronavirus kills six in Iran
- Zimbabwe stuck in 265
- Two universities fined Tk 10 lakh each
- Security around Supreme Court beefed up
- Coronavirus scary: Samsung`s factory closed
- Today’s sports on TV
- Bus kills 9 months’ kid with mum
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Faf du Plessis steps down as South Africa captain