11 Saudi princes detained to protest over utility bills
Published: 12:34 PM, 7 January 2018 Updated: 12:37 PM, 7 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
11 Saudi princes have been arrested in Saudi Arabia for protesting the increase in service bills of citizens. They were detained from the capital city of Riyadh.
This news was published in local media on Saturday. However, the Saudi authorities have not given any comments yet.
Saudi Arabia has been trying its economic reform for a long time, the world`s biggest oil-lifting company. For this, they decided to increase the services bills. The country has decided to introduce VAT with all products.
In Saudi Arabia`s media, Subq.org said that the princes started protesting in front of the Kasar-i-Hukam due to increasing the service bills. They demanded to cancel the increase in service bills issued by the authorities. At the same time, they demanded the cancellation of their death sentence on one of their relatives.
News website Sabq earlier identified the leader of the group of princes by the initials S.A.S. The Saud al-Kabeer branch of the House of Saud descend from a cousin of late King Abdulaziz, who established the modern kingdom.
The dozens of royal family members, current, and former senior officials were rounded up in November last year to crack down on corruption that has also strengthened the power of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
They have been held at the five-star Ritz-Carlton hotel in Riyadh while government officials negotiate financial settlements and asked them to hand over assets and cash in return for their freedom.
The round-up followed a meticulously planned palace coup in June through which Prince Mohammed ousted his elder cousin Prince Mohammed bin Nayef as heir to the throne.
- HC seeks SP’s remarks over Minni’s confession
- T-Aman seedbed prepared on 100 acres in Gaibandha
- Man dies of dengue in Mymensingh
- Vegetable vendor dies of dengue in Khulna
- Fish trader killed in Mirpur road crash
- ‘No existence of media owners without journalists’
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Rain may increase gradually in next 72hrs
- Rains lash India`s northern states, kills 30
- Cabinet’s meeting after 7wks
- ‘Allahar Dal’s ameer among 4 ‘militants’ held
- Major General dismissed for sexual harassment
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites
- Issues that will be discussed during Jayashankar’s visit
- Gibraltar rejects US request
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- 2 dead, 3 missing after boat sinks in Jamuna