Heavy gridlock on Airport road
1 killed, 200 injured in Tabligh Jamaat’s factional clash
Published: 03:01 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 05:56 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
One person was killed in a clash between two groups of Tabligh Jamaat at Ijtema ground in Tongi, Gazipur. More than 200 people were injured.
The clash between the two parties of Tabligh Jamaat started on Saturday morning.
The deceased was identified as Ismail Mondol (70). He is the son of Khalil Mondal of Milkipara of Munshiganj.
At least 25 people that were injured in the clashes that were reported to admit in Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Meanwhile, the vehicular movement on the western side of the busy Airport Road remained halted from Airport Crossing to Abdullahpur since Saturday morning following a clash between two factions of Tabligh Jamaat.
Top leader of Tabligh Jamaat Maulana Saad Kandhalv’s supporters and their rivals locked into a clash at Airport Intersection around 8:00 am, said Traffic Inspector Asad of Abdullahpur Zone.
Following it, a chase and counter chase took place between the two groups creating panic among the city dwellers as well as creating a heavy gridlock from Mahakhali intersection to Uttara.
For the last couple of days, the anti-Saad group have taken position on the Ijtema Maidan in Tongi, said the traffic inspector adding that the clash ensued on Saturday morning when the followers of Maulana Saad tried to enter the ground.
The conflict between the two factions continued from the last session of Biswa Ijtema, Tabligh Jamaat’s annual event and the largest Muslim congregation after the hajj.
The groups locked into another clash over the conflict at Dhaka’s Kakrail Mosque, the headquarters of the religious group’s Bangladesh chapter, in April last.
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Flat wicket is good for Liton!
- Opposition could be stronger if Fakhrul would join JS: Quader
- JS body for buying paddy directly from farmers
- BCL dissidents suspend protest
- GM Quader meets Indian High Commissioner
- Moeen urges fans to not heckle Warner, Smith
- Ultrasound: The future of diabetes treatment?
- Everything will be done for farmer: Razzak
- South Korea to invest $6m in Mongla EPZ
- Condition of Khalid Hossain detrioates
- Adverse weather affects Litchi farming in Rangpur
- ‘No public transport run without tickets’
- Ex-husband files lawsuit against Mila
- Rhodes elated to see youngsters takes big stride
- Amir, Wahab named in Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- No traffic congestion in Sujanagar
- No contractual recruitment in edu institutions
- Tigers confidence in hands of expertise
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-2)
- HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
- Google restricts Huawei`s use of Android
- ‘Govt wants militancy free economic development’
- HC orders to monitor fruit markets
- Cabinet reshuffled to speed up work: Quader
- 20-points proposals from Jatri Kalyan for safe Eid journey
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 32 dead in Tajikistan prison riot
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Quader returns home this evening
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg