'Killing Me Softly' lyricist dies aged 91
Published: 01:16 PM, 29 December 2018 Updated: 01:16 PM, 29 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Norman Gimbel, the Oscar- and Grammy-winning lyricist, has died at the age of 91, his family has announced.
Gimbel's work included Killing Me Softly with his Song - recorded by Roberta Flack, the Fugees and others - and the theme to TV series Happy Days.
He also wrote the English lyrics to the Brazilian bossa nova melody, The Girl from Ipanema.
Gimbel died on 19 December at his home in Montecito, California, his son Tony Gimbel told The Hollywood Reporter.
Music rights organisation BMI said it was "greatly saddened" by news of Gimbel's death. It described him as a "truly gifted and prolific writer" who would be greatly missed by friends and fans.
Norman Gimbel was born in Brooklyn and began his career with music publishers David Blum and Edwin H Morris. His early successes included the lyrics to Andy Williams's 1956 hit single Canadian Sunset.
He was best known for his work in film and television, writing the songs for popular shows such as Laverne & Shirley, Wonder Woman and HR Puffnstuff.
Gimbel formed a long-term collaboration with composer Charles Fox and the two of them won a Grammy Award in 1973 for Killing Me Softly.
He and composer David Shire shared an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1997 for It Goes Like It Goes, which was sung by Jennifer Warnes in the film Norma Rae.
In 1984 Gimbel was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Psychologists solve mystery of songbird learning
- Mansur pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 6 new ships to join BSC fleet
- Rare yellow cardinal caught on camera
- World Meteorological Day tomorrow
- Abrar’s parents meet PM
- Death toll rises to 7 in Barishal road crash’
- 24h Anti-drug drives detained 48 in Dhaka
- 6 hijackers detained in Tongi
- 1650 dev projects progress laudable in FY18
- Death toll rise 47 in China chemical plant blast
- Lightning strikes killed 1 in Habiganj
- Edu Minister criticized teachers for ‘Coaching’
- NZ PM received death threats
- Argentina to train up Bangladeshi footballers
- ‘Shark plane’ in Bangladesh
- Orchita Sporshia in Makkah to perform Umrah
- Will take charge of Ducsu: VP Noor
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Balaka bus hit Menon’s car
- Emilia Clarke reveals she suffered two near-fatal brain aneurysms
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Bagerhat
- 2 powerful cyclones bear down on North Australian coast
- Commercial banana farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
- Unidentifind woman killed in Narsingdi road crash
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police