'Killing Me Softly' lyricist dies aged 91
Published: 01:16 PM, 29 December 2018 Updated: 01:16 PM, 29 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Norman Gimbel, the Oscar- and Grammy-winning lyricist, has died at the age of 91, his family has announced.
Gimbel's work included Killing Me Softly with his Song - recorded by Roberta Flack, the Fugees and others - and the theme to TV series Happy Days.
He also wrote the English lyrics to the Brazilian bossa nova melody, The Girl from Ipanema.
Gimbel died on 19 December at his home in Montecito, California, his son Tony Gimbel told The Hollywood Reporter.
Music rights organisation BMI said it was "greatly saddened" by news of Gimbel's death. It described him as a "truly gifted and prolific writer" who would be greatly missed by friends and fans.
Norman Gimbel was born in Brooklyn and began his career with music publishers David Blum and Edwin H Morris. His early successes included the lyrics to Andy Williams's 1956 hit single Canadian Sunset.
He was best known for his work in film and television, writing the songs for popular shows such as Laverne & Shirley, Wonder Woman and HR Puffnstuff.
Gimbel formed a long-term collaboration with composer Charles Fox and the two of them won a Grammy Award in 1973 for Killing Me Softly.
He and composer David Shire shared an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1997 for It Goes Like It Goes, which was sung by Jennifer Warnes in the film Norma Rae.
In 1984 Gimbel was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- No resign letter received so far: Law minister
- Shaheen dismisses Latham, NZ 4 down
- Dialogs with US impossible: Iran
- SAU to observe Bangabandhu’s Birth Centenary
- Shaheen strikes again to remove Taylor
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today