‘Natyacharya’ Selim Al Deen’s death anniv today
Published: 02:32 PM, 14 January 2019 Updated: 02:32 PM, 14 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Today is the 11th death anniversary of country’s prominent and renowned playwright and theatre artist, Selim Al Deen. He is also known as ‘Natyacharya’ in Bengali Literature.
Deen was born as Mainuddin to Mofizuddin Ahmed and Firoza Khatun in Shenerkhil village of Sonagazi Upazila of Feni on 18 August 1949. He passed matriculation examination in 1964 from Manglakandi High School and in 1966 he passed ISc from Feni College.
In 1967, he was admitted into the University of Dhaka to study Bengali literature. But later he moved to the Karatia College, Tangail and graduated as a student of that college. He came back to the University of Dhaka and obtained his MA degree from the Bengali Department.
In 1995, he earned his Ph.D. degree from Jahangirnagar University. His first job was in an advertising firm as a copywriter. However, in 1974 he joined Jahangirnagar University as a lecturer. He married Begaumjadi Meherunnisa Parul the same year.
Selim Al Deen wrote his first drama in 1968 while still a university student. His first radio play was ‘Biporit Tomosay’ (On the other side of Darkness) was broadcast in 1969. His first play for the theatre was ‘Shorpo Bishoyok Golpo’ (Story about snakes) was staged in 1972.
His main study of European culture is reflected in his initial plays. His works including ‘Sharpa Bishawak Galpo’, ‘Jondis o Bibidho Balloon’, ‘O Mul Shomoshya’, ‘Karim Bawali’r Shotru o Mul Mukh Dekha’, Charkakrar Documentary were cast in European format.
Deen was one of the founding members of ‘Dhaka Theatre’ which is a leading theatre group of the country and rendered vital contribution in advancing the progressive drama movement.
Since the 1980s, Al-Deen has played a pivotal role in the theatre movement of Bangladesh. Apart from his active involvement with ‘Dhaka Theatre’, his fundamental contribution was introduced a novel sense of direction to modern Bengali Drama based on tradition.
Al-Deen has also been one of the key organizers of Bangladesh’s village theatre movement. He took the monumental task of creating the only dictionary on dramatics available in Bengali.
Having been awarded almost all national recognition possible in the field of theatre, Al-Deen’s work is studied at many universities across the world. Several of his plays have been translated into other languages. They have been staged outside Bangladesh too.
Al-Deen secured mass popularity when his plays were broadcast through television. Some of his TV serials like ‘Granthikgan Kahey’, ‘Chhaya Shikari’ and others have received much appreciation from the audiences.
His play ‘Nishwora Bhalobasha’ aired on Bangladesh Television January 2, 2005, was achieved immediate popularity. The main casts were Shahriar Nazim Joy, Dipa Khondokar, Mamnun Emon, Kumkum Hassan, and Anuja. The play was directed by Nayeem Imtiaz Nayemul. His popular drama series ‘Ronger Manush’ based on unmixed rural settings became popular to the audience.
The film ‘Kittankhola’ was adapted from the stage play written by Selim Al-Deen. Featuring Raisul Islam Asad and Naila Azad Nupur, the film brought to light the lives of Jatra artistes and their struggles to make a living off the dying performing art. It is considered one of the best Bengali films.
Meanwhile, Deen received many awards such as ‘Bangla Academy Award’ in 1984, ‘Kathak Sahitya Puroshkar’ in 2002, ‘Best Tele-playwright Award’ in 1994 etc.
As he had been suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney, and diabetic problem, Deen died at Labaid Cardiac Hospital in Dhaka on January 14, 2008, after being admitted to hospital.
Jahangirnagar University authorities observed Selim Al Deen’s death anniversary in a befitting manner. JU Drama and Dramatics department have taken up a two-day program to commemorate the renowned playwright and theatre artiste.
In the evening, a drama ‘Chandraboti’ will be staged by Drama and Dramatics department at the Theater Lab of Zahir Raihan auditorium. On Tuesday, a folk song program will be held at Selim Al Deen Muktamancho in the evening.
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Duas for thanking Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta`ala
- Green coconut: a little relief in heat-web
- Plastic product manufacturers for VAT withdrawal
- 6.46 lakh people live in Dhaka slums: Minister in JS
- Kuldeep’s double strike derails Pakistan’s chase
- India posted 336 against Pakistan
- `JP will loud for rights`
- India assures of cooperation to resolve rohingya crisis and Teesta deal
- Countrywide Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign June 22
- JS sitting adjourned till 3 pm tomorrow
- Areas where gas supply shut on Monday
- 136 official promoted as Joint Secretary
- FSA chair exempted from contempt charge
- `Swajan` service to prisoners
- SC cancels Hallmark chairman’s bail
- Over 40% of newly elected Indian lawmakers facing charges
- Huge crowds march call for city leader to step down
- Have you ever said to father? `Love you`
- Heatwave kills 40 in Bihar in a day
- Journos’ 9th wage-board declaration soon
- Temperature may rise by (1-2)° C
- Pakistan bowl against arch-rivals India
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Momen urges to expedite Teesta deal
- Jail prisoners get high-quality food in breakfast
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight with BGB
- Driver-helper killed as truck overturns
- Saudi Arabia blames Iran for tanker attacks
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- JS budget session begins today
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- England wins beating Windies
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’