‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ rocks Golden Globe in major upset!
Published: 02:55 PM, 7 January 2019 Updated: 02:56 PM, 7 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ pulled a major upset at the close of the Golden Globes on Sunday, taking home the final two top prizes to put itself into the Oscars conversation along with ‘Green Book’ and ‘Roma’.
‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ which charts the rise of British rock group Queen, picked up best actor for Rami Malek, who plays legendary frontman ‘Freddie Mercury’. It also bagged the biggest movie award of the night -- best drama.
Malek said, “I am beyond moved. My heart is pounding out of my chest right now.”
The two trophies were the final prizes in a ceremony that had been expected to be a consecration for ‘A Star is Born’ starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper in the age-old Hollywood fable of an ailing performer and his muse -- which went into the night with five nods.
Civil rights dramedy ‘Green Book’ was the numerical winner -- if not the prestige player -- picking up awards for best comedy movie, best supporting actor Mahershala Ali and best screenplay.
The boozy gala at the Beverly Hilton also recognized Alfonso Cuaron’s ‘Roma’ a cinematic ode to his childhood in 1970s Mexico City, with best director and foreign film honors, while seven movies bagged one statuette each.
“Cinema at its best builds bridges to other cultures,” Cuaron told the audience. “We need to understand how much we have in common.”
Under an azure southern California sky, Tinseltown’s A-listers worked the red carpet with last year’s gender politics still very much in mind.
Many wore ‘Time’s Up’ bracelets in a nod to the movement for sexual equality in the workplace that grabbed the headlines 12 months ago as the industry faced a reckoning about rampant harassment and abuse.
As the only awards show where alcohol is served, the evening is usually more colorful than showbiz’s other big nights.
But the presenters set the tone for a less edgy affair than in previous years with a relatively tame opening that gave more time to complimenting the nominees than assailing them with “roast“-style jokes.
Samberg paid tribute to the diversity among the slate of films up for awards, singling out “If Beale Street Could Talk,” whose star Regina King took home best supporting actress honors, as well as “Black Panther” and “Crazy Rich Asians,” which went home empty-handed.
“And they are not just here tonight because they resonated with audiences Hollywood often ignores,” he said.
“They are here because they told stories that resonated with everyone. And that is truly a beautiful thing.”
King vowed that, for the next two years, she would only produce projects that employ 50 percent women, exclaiming: “Time’s Up times two!“
“And I just challenge anyone out there -- anyone out there who is in a position of power, not just in our industry, in all industries -- I challenge you to challenge yourselves and stand with us in solidarity and do the same,” she said.
This year, the Globes come at the start of voting for Oscar nominations, and while they are not always a clear predictor of Academy Award success, they are a bellwether of momentum.
In the acting categories, Glenn Close (‘The Wife’) bested the favorite Lady Gaga on the drama side.
Olivia Colman, who plays Queen Anne in offbeat royal romp ‘The Favourite’ and Bale won as expected in the comedy acting races.
“Thank you to Satan for giving me inspiration for playing this role,” deadpanned Bale.
Bradley Cooper who plays the aging rocker opposite Gaga’s singer in ‘Star’ had been favorite for best actor in a drama but was edged out by Malek.
The television side of the Globes can feel a bit redundant coming so soon after the Emmys in September, with many of the same nominees as the Television Academy field.
Best drama series went to the acclaimed FX Cold War spy thriller “The Americans” -- its first Golden Globe for its sixth and final season.
Netflix comedy “The Kominsky Method” took home the best comedy series trophy and best actor honors for Michael Douglas.
- Dustbin at hospital’s entrance
- Rifat’s body on way to Barguna
- HM declares stern action against Rifat’s killers
- ‘Bangabandhu struggled whole life for two purposes’
- Those who stood, mainly blocked our way: Rifat’s wife
- Issue alert on boarder: HC to IGP
- Rohit falls early as India bat first
- Hackers steal data from telecoms: cyber firm
- Rural women making own fortune in Rangpur region
- Temperature may fall further
- New Silex malware bricks 2000 plus IoT devices
- Deputy Attorney Generals appointed before 2017 asked to resign
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Rape accused killed in Sitakunda gunfight
- 1 held over brutal murder of Barguna man
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Say Alhamdulillah
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage