Campaign ends, waiting for polls now
Published: 10:50 AM, 27 February 2019 Updated: 02:15 PM, 27 February 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
The by-polls of Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) for the mayoral post, general councilor and reserved women councilor in 36 ward of two cities will be held on Thursday. Already the candidates have finished the campaign. Now it’s time for the people’s verdict.
Meanwhile, the Election Commission (EC) has prepared all the preparations to ensure the fair polling of one of the local government officials which have long been in legal process.
All types of election materials, including ballot papers, will reach the polling station before midnight on Wednesday. In the meantime, instructions have been given for the outsiders to leave the polling areas.
The motorcycle use has been banned from midnight on Tuesday in the DNCC area. Bus, trucks and all types of vehicles will be closed from Wednesday night. Enforcement of adequate law enforcing agencies has been deployed to prevent irregularities and ensure fair polling.
EC Secretary Md Helaluddin Ahmed said, “To ensure the fair and peaceful polling in both Dhaka North and South City Corporation polls, everything is needed to be done by the EC. Law enforcement forces have been asked to take strict action to stop any kind of violence and irregularities in the elections.”
Dhaka North and South City Corporation elections were held on April 28, 2015. After 2.5 years of election, on November 30, 2017, DNCC Mayor Anisul Haque died in London. After his death, the mayoral post was vacant. On the other hand, in 2017, 36 (18) new wards were added in two cities.
The EC announced a two-city schedule on January 22 after one year of the scheduled time due to the court’s sanctions. According to the schedule announced, DNCC mayoral, 36 wards polls of two cities will be held on February 28.
Law enforcement forces on the field
Law enforcement agencies have been deployed in two cities. Law enforcement personnel have started patrolling in two cities as a mobile and striking force since Tuesday morning.
Police, APBN, Battalion Ansar, BGB, Coast Guard and RAB will perform duties from the constituencies of February 26 to March 1. 25 Platoon BGB and 6 Platoon BGB is deployed in DNCC. Apart from this, four platoons and two platoons of BGB will be playing as Reserve force in two cities.
Now, there are 19 members in every general center of two cities and 23 members of law enforcement agencies in the important centers will be deployed. Of these, there will be 4 armed police, 3 armed Ansar and 12 Ansar members in every common center.
On the other hand, in the important center, six out of 23 armed police, five armed Ansar and 12 Ansar members are deployed. Members of the mobile and striking force are also on the field for a total of four days, including two days before the polls, on the day of the vote and the day after the vote. As a striking force, outside the polling station, there are RAB, police and several Platoon BGB Reserve Forces.
The restrictions were imposed on the motorcycle movement without permission sticker from the constituencies in the election areas on Tuesday midnight. Also, from February 27 midnight to February 28, restrictions have been imposed on mechanized vehicles in the election area.
However, the vehicle will be moved on the Highway. Fire services, ambulances, and postal services are also out of this direction. There will be general holidays in the electoral areas on the polling day.
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- DU says not to uniform entry test
- Case against 9 brick kilns of Gaibandha
- Bangladesh restrict India to 142
- Coronavirus: 7 died, 763 infected in South Korea
- Mushfiqur tops Tamim to become leading run-scorer
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- Dhaka-Sylhet 6-lane work begins in July
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on March 29
- 9 shops gutted in Chattogram fire
- 16 Turkish fighters killed in Libya
- Donald Trump arrives in India on 2-day visit
- Date of Shab-e-Meraj to be known today
- Mominul departs for 132, Tigers crossed 400
- Sri Lanka opt to bat
- Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Rain likely at many places
- 3 ACME employees killed in Naogaon road crash
- Bubly will not make any mistakes like Apu: Shakib
- Neymar gets red card in PSG comeback win
- 2 yrs of losing Sridevi, Janhvi remembering mother with best picture
- GP to pay Tk 1,000cr within three months
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!